add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can't install any antivirus??

johnyboy102

23 months ago

I obtained a windows 7 PC and I tried installing a free antivirus to keep it safe. I tried Avast and AVG and both failed to install. I searched through the "uninstall a program" in the control panel to look for another antivirus software that could be on the device and didn't see anything. I ran "chkdsk /f" and everything is fine. I'm at a loss for what to do.

On a side note I also tried to make a partition and install windows 10 but, it simply showed the windows logo after POST and after around 20 seconds it rebooted and cycled through the same thing again.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.malwarebytes.com/chameleon/

Try giving this a go and seeing if there is anything malicious lurking in your PC

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I ran it and everything was fine:

-Scan Summary-

Scan Type: Threat Scan

Result: Completed

Objects Scanned: 316895

Threats Detected: 20

Threats Quarantined: 20

Time Elapsed: 10 min, 14 sec

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I ran it and everything was fine-- Threats Detected: 20

You might want to try your other installs now that the system is cleaned up. It is likely that whatever Chameleon removed was interfering with antivirus install

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

still not working :(

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If you were able to download Malwarebytes Chameleon, have you tried just downloading normal Malwarebytes?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

I know you were looking for a free antivirus and though the free Malwarebytes isn't supposed to be standalone, it should at least offer manual scans that should clean up any malicious files or programs (however you will not have real time protection). You could always just use the free trial of Malwarebytes (it lasts for 14 days). It's not a permanent solution, but it's a start.

Other than that, you might want to give this a go:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

At that point the only other things I can think of are to just let it go, or to try reinstalling your OS

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried installing from safe mode?

Try msconfig in the Start menu area, Boot Tab, place a tick in safe boot, network in radio button chosen I think gives you Internet access.

You do know you should only have 1 antivirus installed at a time...?

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I think he meant that he tried to install both because it failed. Like he tried to install one and it failed so he tried the other one.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

This is true

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

When you say you obtained a PC with Windows 7 on, do you mean this a secondhand system?

Did it not already have anti-virus on it?

Personally, I'd consider backing up all the CD-Keys for the software and files you want to keep, then do a complete fresh install so your not inheriting someone else's past mistakes... if I remember rightly Belarc Advisor exports a report to html that you can save or print out with all your CD-Keys.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube