add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vrm Temps and terrible gaming performance

ForceBlade
  • 23 months ago

Hey guys I'm pretty much stuck at the moment. I just got my motherboard back from asrock today. Just need the bios to be flash in order to run my new Ryzen 2400g. After getting it booted up with no issue booting up. I opened Aida64 my Vrm shows to be sitting at 105c. I opened Rocket League and Half Life to be greeted with a slide show. I have no over clock on the cpu or gpu currently. Standard Web browsing and video streaming run fine. Anyone have an ideas?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Is this your build?

HTPCs are not really for gaming. They lack airflow and proper cooling. I'd move things into a case with proper airflow.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

This issue is currently happening on a open bench, the case is not the issue here. My MB and CPU temps sit a 31c at idle, while the diode is sitting a 38c. I tried to trace the issue but that is a difficult task with system being "stable", as in it's not freezing or abruptly shutting down on me I am unsure where to start.

I'm going to try a fresh install of windows. If that doesn't work, which I'm pretty sure it won't, I'll try to Rma the MB and see what options I have with the CPU as I'm still in the 30 day Amazon Prime window.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Please, have a look at this article and pay attention to the "Measuring & Reporting" section. It may help you figure out what's going on.

As you've already used AIDA64 to measure VRM temperatures try to compare it against other metrics (CPU usage, current FPS, etc).

Try to do a CPU stress test (AIDA64 can do that as well). And a GPU stress test (FurMark for instance). See if anything strange pops up, see if you can find out when your FPS suddenly drops.

And yes, trying a different motherboard can clarify whether the motherboard is the issue or not.

By the way, VRMs running hot is a common thing. Overheating though shouldn't be. I had a problem with my GTX 970's VRMs overheating and ended up solving the problem with a full liquid block & backplate. Maybe not the thing you want to do (as VRM coolers might be less common).

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I did a fresh install of Windows last night and still the same problem still persists. So I'm 80% sure it's a hardware problem at this point. I probably didn't make it clear in my original post as I was quite exhausted when I wrote it up. Rocket League is running at about 5fps in the starting menu, well before I ever get to playing a match.

I put in a replacement order for my cpu, so that will be the first item I will check. If that has no effect on the situation I will go through the process of RMAing the motherboard.

Thanks for the read it was interesting. I'll update this topic when I have more information.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So It looks like I narrowed it down to the MB being the problem. Swapped out the cpu, and still no change to the situation.

Hopefully after going through the rma process this ordeal will be over with. I do know the MB work completely fine with an 1800x before it with was sent in for an bios update. Which makes me question Asrock's service as this is the first MB I bought from the company.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The article I've linked before contains instructions how to run some diagnostics.

Could you please post these (Task Manager showing CPU usage per logic core and GPU-Z showing GPU diagnostics parallel to Task Manager's CPU diagnostics while you play)?

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube