add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading Locked PC

Heroguy14
  • 23 months ago

So basically I forgot the password and I can't get back into my desktop, but I was planning on upgrading the motherboard, cpu and ram. So my question is if I upgrade those will I be able to get into my computer as if it were a new pc or will I still need to enter the password, and which part would i need to replace to be able to get back into it if any at all.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

BIOS password or windows password?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

For Linux: https://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Root-Password-in-Linux#Without_the_Current_Root_Password_sub

For Windows: Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (Works for all versions of Windows, supposedly) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6x385EIbE8

Personally I have tended to take my HDD to another computer with a USB adapter and backup important files, then do a fresh install.

Also, if you just take your HDD to another PC and try to run it, it will BSOD as the drivers between the two systems will most likely be different and not present on the old HDD.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you forget your Windows password or the BIOS password? If you upgrade the motherboard that fixes the BIOS password issue, but you have to reinstall Windows anyway so it kind of fixes both issues. If you forgot your Windows password and want to recover some files, there are a few different ways to do it.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

if it's the bios password, doesn't just taking out the CMOS battery and turning the system off clear any password?

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh yeah. You're absolutely right haha. I've been working with laptops for far too long.. Thanks for pointing that out! Just note that you should turn the system off first, before pulling the battery. :P

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

This is why windows has u link to your email . Just have it reset and check your email . Never create without email or back up key

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube