add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Laptop Build

jm1gic

22 months ago

Is a laptop build worth it? I have a laptop about a year or 2 old. I have upgraded the ram to 8gb. 1tb HD is enough storage for me. Is changing out processors or anything like that worth it/doable? Currently it isn't fast enough, There is an i5 processor in it now. Couldn't tell you off the top of my head now what else is in there.

I have heard of upgrading ram and external hard drives, but i don't usually hear about upgrading processors. What do you think?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually depending on which i5 you have, it might be worth it to get an SSD. It'll make the whole system feel snappier.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't really do a laptop build. Most of the parts are pre-soldered and aren't very accessible, unless you have the right tools and knowledge.

If the laptop doesn't have a graphics card you can't add one (well you can, with an external caddy if you have a fast enough IO but it'll cost upwards of 400£/$) best thing you can do with a laptop is stick an SSD in it and go for the fastest type of ram it can handle as 8/16gb. Aside from that, there's not much else you can do.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Will 300 get me anything. Lots of hard drive space would be nice, but I can always hook up an external drive if I need to. more concerned with being able to handle if i want to play games of some sort on it.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is what I have. Can I get something better? 6gb ram, i5-5200 cpu 2.2 ghz, 1tb hd

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there anything I can do to get this one running better?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube