add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gigabit internet

TurtleSonsSoFun
  • 23 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $244.37 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $109.99 @ Newegg Business
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard -
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $187.23 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $156.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $156.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.99 @ Dell
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card $967.97 @ Newegg
Case Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case $129.99 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $117.68 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus - MX279H 27.0" 1920x1080 Monitor $207.29 @ Newegg Business
Monitor Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor $523.23 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2849.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-15 17:15 EDT-0400

Above is my currently running build, I have gigabit internet speeds to my house, if I'm plug strait into fiber or into a 10gig networking switch, doesn't matter I'm only pulling 750down 500up, was wonder what my bottleneck is? Ssd? I don't need the extra speed but if I can get it id want it. The 850evos are in a raid 1 config not 0

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

1 Gb/s = 1000 Mb/s = 125 MB/s

SATA III SSDs are rated somewhere between 450 add 550 MB/s. So as you can see, it shouldn't be your SSD.

By the way, you can open Task Manager and go to the Performance page and see your storage utilization.

Your motherboard supports 1 Gb/s speed, so you're covered at that end as well. But again, you can check the network utilization in Task Manager/Performance page.

So my questions are:

• how did you measure these upload/download speeds?
  • who else is using the connection? How can you be sure that no one else was using the Internet, thus the bandwidth is split between multiple computers/phones/smart TVs, etc?
  • are you sure your ISP guarantees the 1 Gb/s speed or is it just a marketing and the potential maximum one can reach?
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Speed test by ookla, test with people using or not speeds are the same, and other machine that room mate has is pulling 1000 down 500 up so

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried what Warlock suggested below, that is that you use the other port of your motherboard? Does it make any difference?

Have you checked if your storage is not the limiting factor? Can you start Task Manager, go to the performance page, do the speed test and take a screenshot of the Task Manager? Then upload it and post it here.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If all the mobo drivers are current, test via the Intel (LAN1) port of the mobo.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

test via the Intel (LAN1) port of the mobo.

Why is that? The specification says both LAN ports support gigabit ethernet.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Reports of the Killer E2201 network chip being temperamental is not unusual, whereas the Intel network chips were/are de facto standard, next to the now defunct 3Com network chips.

Killer NIC only entered the mobo network chip market in 2006.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. :)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I was only get 500/500 with the killer port and the 750/500 with Intel port

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Excuse me not meaning to hijack your thread or anything, but I have a question.

Can one use both of the network ports together as an etherchannel? (link aggregation)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Mobo website and/or manual should provide info.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

There is always overhead on a ethernet connection so a Gigabit ethernet port could never achieve an actual file transfer rate of 125 MB/s in the real world. Here's a good explanation why (and some steps you could theoretically take to improve it) - http://rickardnobel.se/actual-throughput-on-gigabit-ethernet/

Not too sure why 750 is the number you're getting though. Apparently some of the cheap cables (even ones labelled "Cat 6") out there don't actually meet the Cat 5e performance standards. Perhaps you could try a different ethernet cable? Just speculating. Also I wonder if updates for Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities might have an impact??

As you have a 10 Gig switch, maybe a 10 Gig PCIe x4 ethernet adapter could be a way to go. Whether it's worth it with an already very fast 750 mbit connection (I thought I was doing OK with a 75 Mbit net connection :) ) is another matter.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube