add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD comes up in bios as 1 gb

Echoaxis

23 months ago

I sent my first faulty drive off and I got another one and it still comes up as 1 gb got another one and I got the same issue they are the adata SU800 512gb ssd I’m on a asus strix right x99 gaming mother board and I have tried literally everything I cannot secure erase

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Maybe the vendor sent you back the same SSD, like he didn't even care to check it.
  • Try hooking it up to another PC using an external USB controller and check the size there, try Crystal Disk e.g.
  • Try connecting it to the power only (no data-cable) and let it run on itself for an hour.
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you using the same data cable each time, I've had dodgy cables do all kinds of things such as the drive not being recognized at all or as another type of drive contrary to what it is. Not all cables are equal!

Also, is the drive partitioned and formatted using the full size of the drive or only 1 GB?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a possibility that the drive is unpartitioned or unallocated and the motherboard doesn't know what to do about it? Yeah, I think that is kind of reaching, try a different cable, other than that you might just have a a bad sata port, try another one.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The ports are fine cause I use them for my hard drive disks they are unallocated so I might try allocating them then loading windows on to one

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s called sm2258ab-10-00821800

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

There have been relatively rare but acknowledged cases of bad shutdowns/outages/BSODs etc causing SSD controllers to 'go bad'. Or you may just have a duff one that, as someone else said, has been sent back to you.

Definitely try a different SATA data cable and make sure it's seated properly (lots of SSDs don't have a 'click' mechanism when the data cable goes in, unlike most HDDs, due in part to the slimmer profile). Then try CrystalDiskMark to check the drive's health - it's likely it'll come up as 'bad' or similar (possibly no reading at all) if the cables didn't seem to be the issue.

Either way it sounds like a physical fault with the disk to me; I'd certainly return it and make a note of the serial number so you can definitely tell if you get sent the same one back.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube