add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to move Windows (and games) from HDD to an SSD?

PresDuhMes

23 months ago

Title.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Let's start with the easiest ones.

If your games are in Steam, just completely uninstall them after running a backup. Steam sgtores your games data in the cloud.

For games that are not in Steam, copy the game files ( the folder holding the game) to an extra USB HDD. Then take note of what games are installed. This will be important later.

Also, take note of the applications you have installed. We're not transferring Windows. We're reinstalling it.

Before doing anything else, go online and download your version of Windows. Here's a link for Windows 7 and Windows 10. I'm assuming you have one of those, Windows 8 was horrible.

Get a 4Gb+ USB drive and follow the instructions in this link. It's the same process for Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Then after doing that, shut down your PC and remove the HDD. If your PC uses a BIOS, here's the instructions. If it uses a UEFI setup, it'll likely do it semi-automatically. When you do boot from the USB, follow the instructions shown by the USB.

Once you're done with the install making sure you put in your product key (if you forgot your product key, follow these instructions to call Microsoft, or follow this link to get it before you remove the HDD). Once you're done, begin finding and reinstalling the programs you had.

For your games, install Steam. Then hit the "Install" button on all of them. Steam will download the game, along with all your personal data.

For your non-Steam games, find them and download them. Once you have them installed, go to the drive you had your games in and replace the new installs with those folders.

I assume you want to use your HDD after. First, make sure there's nothing else you want off your HDD (documents, photos, product keys for Solidworks or something). Then insert your HDD into your PC, hooking it up, and then go to "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions". Format your HDD.

And you're good to go!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

And this is why I still boot from my WD 1TB!

Lol.

Nice write up.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Do I set the SSD to boot drive?

And can I just reinstall windows but on the SSD and reinstall everything again? This is too much work (for only three games) and I just got my PC and the only games I have is Overwatch, PUBG, and fornite.

And the only applications is NZXT Cam, OBS, and a few randy things.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Just reinstall Windows on the SSD if you don't want the hassle, yeah.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

How do I reinstall when it has already been installed?

Sorry, I had someone else do the windows thing but I just had to buy it :P

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

What? Windows is already installed on the SSD?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I meant how do I install windows when it has already been installed in general...

Basically: How to install windows

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you recommending doing all that instead of just imaging the original HDD to the new SSD and then formatting the HDD after verifying the image is fully functional?

There are plenty of free utilities for that, Macrium Reflect is a good one and some SSD's (Samsung) even come with a utility for doing it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's hard to find one that will do it without saying, "Give us money!"

Also, copying the drive means also copying over bugs, errors and failures. Combine this with the errors made by copying, and you have an issue.

Also, fresh Windows is just.... Nice.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of SSD do you have?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Find the game files and clone them to the ssd then delete don’t delete until confirmed on ssd

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Just get the windows key from HDD and use media creation tool then activate

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

He can get his key by using the script in the linked txt file and running it by renaming from txt to vbs file extension.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube