add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PCI-E Doesn't Logic!!!

TheHink
  • 76 months ago

So is there just no possible way to get 2 x16 slots on a motherboard that doesn't cost a gagillion dollars?

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is the part list, so I guess I have to run x8 on a motherboard like this unless there is a motherboard with 2 x16 PCI-E slots that costs less than $200 (2 way CrossFire with 2 GPU's that run at x16)? So if the GPU's use x16 each and I can only supply them x8 each in CrossFire then I'm not getting their full potential correct?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Performance difference will be negligible. Remember, PCI-E 3.0 @ x8 is equal to PCI-E 2.0 @ x16

If you want true 2 x PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x, you will have to go with the X79 platform.

Also, I wouldnt bother with 2 x R9 270X right off the go. For the same price, go with the GTX 780 and go SLI later.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Explain further and elaborate, no one ever explained what x4 and x8 and 2.0 and 3.0 were to me.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

My explanation would be piss poor at best. Give this a read, it will give you some numbers to work with. http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

And what do you think about the bus supply when doing things like litecoin mining? Would you happen to know anything about that?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

No experience with mining, but people use PCI-E x1 to PCI-E x16 risers so they can use more GPUs. So from my guess, it has little impact.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, and lastly, my friend reviewed my part list and said that there was not enough PCI power thingies to power the GPU, I don't remember exactly, but he said that from different sources he found that it had either 4 or 2 connections (the PSU), I don't really know what he was saying, something about insufficient connections... can you check it for me?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted" to "Components > Motherboards".

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

The PCI-e speed makes a very small difference. It really doesn't matter. Since you said you are mining. The cards don't have to be in crossfire to mine. They just have to be on the board with drivers. You need to be worried about your difficulty and thread concurrency settings while mining.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

The CrossFire allows me to kick my computer into high gear when I need to do something graphic intensive or play a video game.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube