add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with Clean Win 10 Install on Samsung 850 EVO SSD

ShannonC

23 months ago

I have a new Samsung 850 EVO that I want as the boot drive on a my new build. I tried doing a clean Win 10 install from a USB and it will not go. The drive shows up in the BIOS and on the Install screen but I get a couple different error messages when trying to get past that screen. I even did the Shift + F10, diskpart, etc. from this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/win10-clean-install-on-samsung-ssd-850-evo/c9e2e24d-e29d-459a-8a6d-5c9cf24b977d

I can get all the way to where it shows 4 GPT partitions but it says Windows can't be installed on each one of them if I select them and it won't let me click Next.

I was able to format the drive on my old pc via USB to SATA interface so I feel like the drive is ok. The Samsung Magician software indicated that it was an invalid Serial Number but it seemed like that was a known issue with the older version.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

... it shows 4 GPT partitions

? Under normal installation process, there should only be two partitions. One 100MB partition that Windows creates by default and the remaining using up the remainder of the free space of the SSD.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried those instructions last night too. Convert GPT was successful but when I got back to just Unallocated Space and clicked "Add", I got 4 partitions like the screenshot below but each partition I clicked on said (unable to install windows on this partition) and the Next button remained greyed out.

https://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/vlcsnap-2015-08-09-22h30m56s552.png

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you try deleting all the partitions and clicking next?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't remember if I tried in that order, I will when I get home. I tried so many different things...

Thanks!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Let us know how it goes. :)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I loaded the drive in my old computer and upgraded the Samsung Magician all the way to 5.2. Drive looked good to Samsung Magician this time (probably b/c I connected it via Sata vs USB). Verified everything was cool with the Drive and then shut down, moved it to the new PC and this time it went super smoothly. The unallocated drive showed up and I clicked next and that was it. Thanks again for your help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube