add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HDD when hooked up - Pc won’t turn on

slabtooth
  • 23 months ago

So I got this HDD of offer up and I plugged in the power cable into my psu and the Sata cable where where my SSD is plugged into. But my newly built PC won’t turn on, no lights nothing like it’s unplugged. When I take out HDD, it powers on? Sounds like the HDD or do I not have enough power in supply? 650W gold seasonic 1080 Ti FTW3 I7-8700K

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Check with another verified working system.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there way to check it without another pc? I don’t have access to another

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

No, unless you have access to a quality testing division of a HDD manufacturer or access to a data recovery company with HDD diagnostics/testing equipment.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I had this issue before, use a different data cable.

And as a test to prove its your data cable does the system boot with only the power connected to the drive?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I will try it with only the power cable plugged in, question there is a number on the end of the cable EB57 and all others are EB55 does this make sense or have you heard it?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Also did you try more than one sata port when trying to connect the hdd?

Some motherboards share sata ports with M.2 drives for example, meaning that when you plug in a M.2 drive one sata port is disabled.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube