add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASUS Z370-A; Samsung 960 EVO combo doesn't quite work

myron7

23 months ago

This is my first build in a while. First time with an SSD. I picked the ASUS Z370-A mobo and the Samsung 960 EVO 250 gb drive. I can't get the BIOS to recognize the drive as a bootable device. I loaded Win 10, and it works fine. On each reboot, it defaults to F1 setup. When I go into setup and pick the windows boot manager from the top of the boot priority list, it boots into windows.

I tried calling ASUS and after 4 chats and many changes to the BIOS settings, they gave up, thinking it's a drive problem. I tried calling Samsung and they think (as I), there's nothing wrong with the drive.

There's some combination of BIOS setting that I'm missing.

I have it in the M.2_1 slot with configuration set to PCIE.

I installed win 10 many times with CSM disabled and enabled, with the Secure Boot on different configurations, with Key Management keys clear and not. I tired the other M.2_2 slot with x2/x4 combinations. Cleared CMOS a few times. Took out the battery. The closest I can get is booting to the BIOS.

I'm sure someone has this MB and SSD and got it to work. What BIOS setting are you using. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I loaded windows 10, and it works fine. On each reboot, it defaults to F1 setup.

If I'm reading this correctly you can install Windows 10 but you cannot boot to it after installation?

Do you have any other drives installed in on the PC?

Have you updated the BIOS?

Have you formatted the drive in your BIOS?

Are you sure the drive is seated properly in the m.2 slot?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I have win 10 installed on the drive. There are no other drives in the build yet. I updated the BIOS to version 0613. I believe the drive is seated correctly. I'm working off this computer a few hours a day with no problems.

I'm not sure what you mean by formatted in the BIOS. When I repeatedly installed windows, I needed to get rid of the partitions that windows created, so that the drive showed up as one partition to install.

So, to be clearer, I can boot into windows, but only after going into the BIOS and selecting the windows boot manager. The mobo isn't recognizing the drive as being bootable, even though it shows as the first priority in the boot sequence.

When I'm in windows and run

diskpart detail disk (I get) Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250 GB Type NVMe Boot Disk Yes

And yet, it doesn't boot from the disk, without intervention. I first need to go into setup (F1).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube