add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Continuous boot looping after cpu change

Callin
  • 23 months ago

I just got my new cpu after having the old one for a while I put the new one in went to start it up and it turned on for 5 seconds then turned off and repeated the same process on a loop I took everything out and put it back in place again and still nothing

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Put the old CPU back in, does the system boot normally?

If it does, update your BIOS... then try the new CPU again.

Also don't expect Windows to boot with new hardware, it'll probably BSOD cause it doesn't have the drivers installed for the new CPU. But you never know you may be lucky.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

First thank you for the fast reply When you say update your bios how do you mean by that and do you mean I'll have to reinstall windows

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The new CPU is new hardware that your Windows installation may not recognize, so yes you may have to re-install windows. Try it and see, if you get a blue screen of death that'll be why.

For the BIOS update, depending on the CPU your trying to put in your motherboard may not accept unless you update the BIOS. Just what is your motherboard model/brand. What CPU are you trying to use? You would make things much easier if you stated what your hardware specs are.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube