add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Possibly dead Sapphire R9 290

MrHaamu
  • 23 months ago

Hey, I have had a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X graphics card for around 3 years now and the card used to be really good. One day around 3 months ago I think i ran into a blue screen and after restarting, i only get boot and Windows logo and then just black. When i get drivers for the card and Windows starts using the R9 290 instead of my CPU's graphics, the screen goes black. I have tried so many different things to try and get the GPU to function normally but i cant solve this by myself. I still have hope that my GPU isn't dead, so if you have any suggestions how to get it working i would be very grateful.

Regards, Mrhaamu

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

You can try using DDU to do a clean reinstall of the drivers, but I think your card might be dying.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea i have used DDU and unfortunately it did not help. Im hoping the card isn't dying since its such a good card and finding a worthy upgrade will be hard.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's always sad to see a card go. :( Similar performing ones would be the GTX 970 and RX 480, but prices are still crazy inflated right now. Best of luck!

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

OK good news time. I decided that since i don't have anything else to try, i used a heatgun to reflow the GPU. It actually worked, and now im extremely happy. Ill update once i have used the card for a while.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

That was the recommendation I was going to make. My old tri-x cards had the primary heataibk screws come slightly lose. Would cause black screens non stop. Pulled them, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, reattached and had 0 issue afterwards.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube