add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hard Drive at 100% all the time?

PresDuhMes

23 months ago

Whenever my game crashes or freezes (which is about once a month or so, basically nothing besides internet connection problems) and I have to go into task manager to close it, I always see my hard drive is at one hundred percent. What's going on?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It generally means one of several things.

1. Your anti-virus is running. This causes high usage on everything, especially when scanning for malware. This would crash the game either by starving it of CPU resources or interrupting it's access to the drive.

2. Your game is writing save data to the drive. This would be a normal behavior.

3. You have a virus. Run an anti-virus scan.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Essentially correct. If your drive is running at 100% all the time though, that could be a different issue.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

A dying HDD may seem to be running at 100%, download and run the drive' manufacturer tools and test your drive. Do you have S.M.A.R.T. enabled at all?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

In the task manager go to the performance tab and click on resource monitor. Click on disk and tell us if anything is using a great deal of your disk, especially any that seem unusual...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube