add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU Temps - 4790K, stock speeds

evilwoodchuck
  • 23 months ago

Hello all,

I am having some trouble with my 4790k. It is idling at 40C in a 25C room, and whenever put under load (Intel Stress Test/PRIME95) it IMMEDIATELY goes to 70C and gradually gets up to about 75-80C.

I previously had a CoolerMaster 212 EVO on it with two 3000 RPM SanAce server fans, and upgraded that today to a Corsair H115i Extreme (280mm rad with 2x 140mm 2000 RPM fans). Even manually running the fans at 2000 RPM it does the same thing.

BIOS is newest version (Asus Maximus Formula VII), I have tried full manual mode with 1.25Vore, all powersaving features are on, full BIOS reset with default settings, changed thermal paste, tried different methods of applying thermal paste. I can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts! The case is very well ventilated, it's a NZXT H630F, it has 2 200mm intakes in the front, 1 140mm intake in the bottom, a 140mm on the HDD cage blowing back towards the CPU, the H115i Extreme is mounted on the top (exhaust, and with the air setup there were 2 more 200's on the top for exhaust), and there is an additional 140mm exhaust fan on the rear of the case.

During stress testing core TDP only hits about 50-60W, never anywhere close to 88W TDP max, I just don't get it.

I had a 4690K OC'd to 4.5 Ghz in this same rig and it NEVER got that hot, even with the air cooler setup I mentioned before. Is this just a **** 4790K? Any ideas? Should I try delidding it?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Possible: NGPTIM

Delid tool: Rockit88

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll give that a shot. Should I replace the TIM with LiquidMetal or should I use regular Artic Silver or something?

If I use LiquidMetal, does it need to be replaced at any interval or is it just good to go?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The Coollaboratory Liquid Pro may be of interest.

Would not recommend Arctic Silver due to multiple drawbacks. e.g. Curing time, limited lifespan...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube