add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Salvaging an old PC

Irishlad
  • 23 months ago

Hi all, I have an old dell desktop that I would like to fix up.

The PSU is no longer operating and trying to find a reasonable replacement.

Here's what I know about it: Its an XPS 8100 with i7 870 with generic intel fan cooler Motherboard - generic Dell - can't identify make / model no. PSU - Chicony???? RAM: 8 GB DDR3 (4x2GB @ 1333 MHZ) GFX: GB Windforce 660 GTX 2GB Case: Generic Dell case

I'm thinking I will need to replace the case and PSU at minumum - literally no wriggle room in the dell case.

Opinions?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

... XPS 8100 ... Dell ... can't identify make / model no. PSU ...

That system should be compatible with a standard ATX power supply.
As always, when dealing with DELL, verify with DELL to make sure PSU is not proprietary design.

... replace the case ...

Check that the mobo front panel connectors are not proprietary.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

proprietary design = "Dell's special snow flake edition" ie not compatible with other market components?

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Possible. Some of the early DELL system used parts that appeared to be industry standard but they were not.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Why fix up and not replace?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Built a replacement :) just didn’t want to throw this one away.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Whenever I'm in a situation like this, I always tend to buy a £25 cheap case off of eBay just for the new external look! Makes it look lovely. Your motherboard looks fine, it's even got the detachable I/O shield, so if you ever decide to give it a new chassis, it wouldn't be an issue at all. The PSU connections are also compatible with mainstream power supplies. You should treat yourself with a 80 Plus just to be safe, though you could buy any as long as it has the 24 pin motherboard connection and a PCIE power connector for the 660

All the best

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube