add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LGA 775 CPU issue, do I need a BIOS flash?

fluffy57

23 months ago

So I have super old Intel dg33bu motherboard which has Core 2 Duo E6550 installed. Recently I got my hands on Core 2 Quad Q8400 CPU. I've installed it but PC wouldn't boot properly (it kinda starts, coolers go weird, and PC reboots and then everything repeats). I've put E6550 back in, no problems, everything is working fine.

I found somewhere that BIOS flash might help solve the issue. Is that true? And if so, could you please explain how do I go about flashing my BIOS, since I never did that before.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel dg33bu

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought I would have to do it with flash drive. This one I already had installed, I ran it once more now, writing said it flashed several things. CPU has beed recognised so far, but my CPU fan keeps going nuts, and moreover it does so with E6550 aswell.

I'm a little concerned it seems like fan is spinning at full speed all the time. It makes a lot of noise, but more importantly I'm afraid it might lead to a breakdown of MB or something else. Is it possible to unplug CPU cooler altogether and just passively cool the CPU with stock heatsink or do those old ones run very hot and require constant active cooling?

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I got myself new CPU cooler, now everything seems fine and working. Except one other fan issue. I have CPU fan, inlet fan and outlet fan, and for some reason motherboard would incrase rpm of inlet fan to match sum of both CPU and outlet fans. And I had no tools in BIOS to change anything, I had to simply unplug it and disable error message of fan missing. So now I only have outlet fan and CPU fan, but other than that things seem to be ok.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube