add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Loud, fast fan with no display on monitor

Cheekyvir
  • 23 months ago

Hi, few weeks ago I build this PC. Everything worked fine until recently, when BSOD happened with Memory_Management error . I was forced to shutdown the pc by holding the power button since nothing was happening. Since then, when I turn on the pc, the fan (probably the cpu one) is very loud and there is no display on the monitor.

Things I already tried:

• turn on the pc while RAM is completely removed (no change in behaviour)

• take out the mobo battery for 5-10 minutes

• clean out all the dust

• reconnect every connected cables

• took out and placed again the graphics card

If it would come to a possible dead hardware, I would like to atleast know which is it...so far I think it's the motherboard.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's either the RAM or the motherboard. Have you tried putting just one RAM stick in? If neither RAM sticks work in any combination of slots, then it's likely the motherboard. If you have a friend who can loan you a stick of RAM to test in your machine, that would also tell you for sure.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply. I also tried the one stick method but nothing changed. That's actually a good idea, I'll try to loan one stick from a friend.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Was at the local PC repair, they said it was a bad cpu. The last thing I suspected

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

No display either could be something wrong with the GPU and you just had a one time BSOD due to an unstable memory clock? The loud fans could possibly be the GPU?

Any other GPU laying around that you could try it with?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, the BSOD happened first time, but don't know the reason, only chrome was opened. The gpu fans aren't spinning until they reach 50°C, but no, I don't really have any other gpu...Probably gonna have visit a local PC repair store or something.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you try cleaning your RAM?

Use a soft white pencil eraser to clean any grime/rust/corrosion off the contacts, you'd be surprised just how much a little bit of crap can stop your system from running or running properly.

Also did you try booting the system without the HDD attached?

Memory management error isn't just necessarily a RAM issue, as Windows uses your HDD for the paging file.

Does the system POST without the HDD and cable for the HDD attached to the motherboard? Check your data cable for faults

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The cpu was allegedly at fault in the end out of all things.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube