add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC booting to bios and black screening

crazycucumbers
  • 23 months ago

Hey all. So my PC won't work. I thought my APU wouldn't work without a bios update so I got an older APU to put in in order to update the BIOS. After finally getting older APU, I've run into a problem. I turn the computer on and different things happen each time. Sometimes, it won't boot at all. Sometimes I get code 99 in bottom right of screen and it turns off. Sometimes, I get Mobo splash screen and it disappears after a couple of seconds. Sometimes I have a screen that's asking if I want to boot from the hard drive into Windows. I've only had this happen twice, and I selected different options each time. Both times it went to a black screen. I selected Bios setup and Windows boot manager. I also have gotten to the BIOS twice but both times it black screened a couple seconds after finally seeing it. I have no idea what's going on or if I'm doing something wrong. I know everything is connected properly. All fans are running. LEDs on keyboard light up and turn off when it black screens.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not that it doesn't post. It posts and stays on for a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, before inevitably turning off and going to a black screen. I set up everything properly. I plugged everything in right. I can interact with it and such until it turns off. I was actually almost done flashing a new Bios version before it shut off again and now I can't get anything to happen at all.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

... I was actually almost done flashing a new Bios version before it shut off

Power interruption during a BIOS update = Dead mobo.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Figures. Well, I still have no clue what was making it act that way. I happen to have a second motherboard that's exactly the same kind so I guess I'll have to rebuild it. It's likely that the same issue will happen, so if there's any idea what could have caused those issues, any fix suggestions would be great

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Post a link to your complete parts list.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube