add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard not detecting hard drive

endemion

23 months ago

I recently built a new computer, I also purchased a new hard drive and am trying to install windows 10 on it but for some reason the Motherboard isn’t recognizing the hard drive. I’ve already activated and partitioned the hard drive on my brothers computer. It seems that my brothers computer can pick up the hard drive just fine but mine just will not. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS, checking for updates on the BIOS, trying different cables and ports and at this moment I’m out of ideas.

CPU: Radeon 5 1600 MOBO: asrock B350 pro4 GPU: MSI 1060 6GB HDD: WD blue 2TB

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Does it not show in the BIOS?

When you say "activated" do you mean you installed windows on another machine and then installed the HDD to a new PC?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

By activated I mean online. The first thing I did was that and then I installed windows using his computer. After that I tried hooking it back up into my machine and it would not run, it would sit in start up for hours. I hooked it back up to my brothers and it ran fine, sp I thought it had to do with me installing it on another computer. I deleted the partitions and reformatted the drive at that point and tried to install windows using my machine, which is when things started effing up.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

There's an issue, if you installed Windows on another PC and then move it to another PC, Windows will have errors cause it doesn't have the drivers for the new hardware in your system.

A potential work around is to start in safe mode with network, then download and install the drivers for your PC. Though this is not recommended.

Remove all partitions from the HDD and then put it in your PC, boot your installation medium then do the partitioning and format through the installation process.

If your HDD shows up properly in the BIOS your HDD should be fine.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

may be faulty sata cable?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, tried different cables already

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

What sata port did you try? Are you on sata0 or perhaps try other ports.

Alternatively why use a HDD at all when your motherboard seems to have a m.2 slot, why not try a Samsung MZ-V6E500 960 EVO

On a side note, what are your settings in your motherboard' BIOS as when M.2 is used or active, it can stop a sata port from working as they may share the same hardware, depending on how your BIOS is set it will be like your sata port is dead/dysfunctional.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube