add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus mobo Red DRAM LED, no display, won't boot

bak3rskat3r
  • 23 months ago

Hi all. So back in Dec 2016 I built my first gaming desktop. It was a great experience and so far has been fantastic, no issues, until now I believe. Here is the build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZG6wkT

Long story short, computer has worked great until I go to start it up yesterday, and nothing shows up on either of monitors. I checked all the obvious things, everything was plugged in, etc. I plugged the HDMI into my TV to see if that would display anything, still nothing. OK. I took everything apart, for the first time since I built the computer, so it was pretty dusty. I cleaned everything from top to bottom. I then removed the GPU, CPU, coolers, connections, etc. Put it all back together, still won't display anything on boot up. Can't even get into bios. The one clue it's giving me: There is a solid red LED light that says DRAM on the motherboard. It also says VGA and CPU but those are not lit up. For what its worth, the second I start it up the CPU light flashes red and then it switches to the DRAM light being lit up. A few hours of googling and it seems many people with that issue say its an issue where the RAM isn't seated correctly. But believe me, I must have removed each stick of RAM and tried every single combination of how it was arranged, 1 stick at a time, a dozen times, still nothing.

I'm going to swing by a friends house tonight and try different RAM. If that doesn't work, will I need to buy a new motherboard? I will admit I was looking at some upgrades, lol (EDIT: and if I had to swap out the mobo, is that just plug and play or would i have to reinstall windows all over again?.... RIP)

I just find it funny that it worked great for nearly a year and a half and then one day it won't work at all. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

EDIT: IDK why i said it was an asus mobo in the title. MSI

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I was afraid of.

Rearranging the RAM into different slots, 1+2, 3+4, everything in between, still didn't work. I removed my 1060, cpu cooler, anything unnecessary and it's still giving me the solid red DRAM light... I don't know what to do next.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3344758/post-display-beeps-fans-spin-dram-led-solid.html

exactly the same issue as me. Seems like it's a common theme with this board

So from here, what is my best option?? Replace it with the exact same board? With all the issues I really don't know if I want to do that.

Upgrade to something better and more reliable? Would that cause issues with my windows 10 install? I have a lot of large games and files I REALLY don't want to do a fresh install. That would be worst case scenario...

Thanks for the help.... (BTW - sorry how my original post is formatted. It didn't look like that when I posted it)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube