add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Switch 810 cooling remove hdd cages?

kenh536

70 months ago

Doing an upgrade today into a switch 810. I will be installing an h100i and stock 7970ghz vapor-x. My question is would it be better airflow to remove the hdd cages completely and run 2 front and 2 bottom intake or have 1 or two cages with 2x front 2x cage and 1x bottom? I only have 1 hdd+ssd and I could mount the hdd into my 5.25 bay and velcro my ssd. I want to do this for a clean look but I am not sure which is better for airflow.

Basically I would like opinions on what hdd cages should I install. Also do you guys think the case would look too empty with no cages and an atx mobo?

Thanks guys, I am excited for this build- er.. Re-build!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

What you're describing (HDD in 5.25, SSD velcro) is what I did in my case. I have the Cooler Master 431; I used double sided tape to stick my SSD on backside of 5.25 bay. That leaves the HDD cage free and clear since I can't remove mine, will be even better in yours since you can remove the cage altogether!

I wouldn't bother with bottom intake unless you had the tower sitting up on something to give some pull room from underneath. Go with two front intakes, and a good rear exhaust and with the h100i you'll be in great shape.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube