add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Friends PC will not turn on after putting rear side panel on while running

Derp88_
  • 23 months ago

I am writing this on behalf of my friend. A few days ago he got a new case, after moving the parts in and several hours of troubleshooting with me (He plugged the case power button header into the clear CMOS pins and forgot to plug CPU power in.) Today he wanted to install something into his case for wifi, In doing this though he left the PC on. When putting the rear side panel back on the computer froze and failed to boot up, all that would happen is the fans would spin and a few LEDs in the case came on when he tried turning it on. After, an hour of troubleshooting today which included; resetting CMOS, running with just the motherboard, CPU, PSU, and heatsink and fan outside the case, and checking all connections. It still did not boot, personally, I think when he put the side panel back on it may have made contact with the back of the motherboard and fried the system, if that is possible.

Friends PC Specs:

CPU: I7-6700K

MB: ASUS Z170k

RAM: 16GB DDR4 ADATA

GPU: GTX 980Ti

PSU: Highpower 600 Watt 80+

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

(The PC is an Ibuypower prebuilt)

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Did he install the WiFi card while the PC was still powered on?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't believe it was a wifi card, he really didn't explain it well. I'll ask him later today.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: He just had his motherboard checked out and the entire IO section was fried. So no more help needed

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

That’s why you need to power down a pc before doing anything hardware related

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, he didn't know that unfortunately.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube