• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

RainOfPain125 12 months ago

After taking my phone into hot showers a few times (never getting it wet, assuming the water damage was from the steam) my android (J36V) keeps turning itself off claiming it needs to since it's 'overheating'

After downloading CPU-Z on the phone all the temps are fine except for the battery. Which reads 84.8C. Which is definitely wrong, as I can definitely feel no heat at all anywhere on the battery

So my question is, is there anyway to disable the temperature sensors? Or is there a way to turn the temperature threshold up? I tried looking for help on it and haven't found any.

If it requires rooting that would be insanely hard and risky since I can't keep the phone going for more than 3 minutes without it 'overheating' and shutting all the apps down then turning off (the phone could brick if it shuts itself down mid-rooting I assume)

Comments Sorted by:

elvenson 5 Builds 1 point 12 months ago

Only play with that stuff if you want it to explode in your pocket like the Samsung phones did a few years ago...

And don't EVER take a phone into a hot shower... Even the water resistant ones are koto made for that...

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 12 months ago

And don't EVER take a phone into a hot shower.

Done it for years. Works fine for me. Just don't drop that thing in the toilet (wife has done this twice).

I dropped one in a freshly cleaned toilet... That thing was pulled apart and thoroughly cleaned with alcohol and laid to dry with the battery out for 2 days after lol

Too new to toss out... Had to cleanse it lol

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 12 months ago

I get it. Tries it with my wife's, but it was done. Screen worked, though. So, I was able to replace my broken screen with my wife's internals (Same phone)

RainOfPain125 submitter 1 point 12 months ago

I wouldn't imagine a false positive would make the phone explode in my pocket. Plus I run my phone on low power settings most of the time, so actual overheating would be extremely unlikely

You assume its a false positive, but if it is not (and they are not known to be usually), then youll be in the danger zone. Seriously, dont mess with it. You are much better off replacing the battery than playing with the safety features...

The reality is that you cooked the phone. It happens. the shower is most likely how too, but it could also be other things like hot pocketing it, putting it in direct sunlight too often (like a car dash), or just running it hard too much... probably the shower though. Your phone is damaged and cant be fixed by simply taking off the safeguards as that will make it worse.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 12 months ago

“hot pocketing it“

<insert hot pocket slogan>

Okay, I’ll leave know.

RainOfPain125 submitter 1 point 12 months ago

Okay. And if I wanted to take such safeguards away (for 'educational' purposes) how would I go about doing that? Even if what you say is true I still need to take all the data off of the phone, which I can't do if it's gonna shut off every 3 minutes. I'm sure the phone won't explode if it lays on my room temperature desk for about 15 minutes.

3 fold problem...

The battery has its own sensors in many cases and can interrupt itself. You can't change that really...

The phone has these things cooked in below the OS level and you can't alter them there

The OS has safeguards in place as well which you will need a custom rom to disable... And you will likely need to dig into the code of that rom to get rid of these functions also as I'm sure that there isn't a simple tool to do it.

Complicated for a reason.

Bartholemew 1 point 12 months ago

Lay off the fortnite mobile. Jk.