add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

System/case fan headers question.

outthawazoo
  • 76 months ago

So I'm working on my first ever build and I have a question regarding fan headers on the MOBO. When it list the number of fan headers under the specs, does that mean I'm limited to only that number of fans? For example, I'm looking at a MOBO that says it has 3 system fan headers, does that mean I can't use 4 or more fans?

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

It just means that you can have that many physical connections to the board. If you want more than 3 fans you can buy splitter cables to run more than 1 fan on a single header.

It's generally advised to not go over 3 or 4 fans per header as a rule of thumb because most headers are rated for 1 amp current delivery. Most fans are between 0.15 and 0.3 amps unless you're a Delta kind of guy.

You should also keep your CPU fans and case fans on separate headers. So for example, you can have 2 CPU fans on a single CPU_FAN header and 2 case fans on a CHA_FAN header, but avoid putting 2 CPU fans and 2 case fans on the CPU_FAN header.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

You can also buy powered fan splitters, power comes directly off PSU and speed is controlled by motherboard. I have 13 fans connected to 2 fan headers on my board.

Swiftech 8 way fan splitter is what I use and it's powered by SATA, I HATE MOLEX.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thanks guys. I guess I'll get a two-way splitter and just use that for my two front fans then.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube