add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermaltake Riing 12 RGB fans not spinning on startup.

HAMB
  • 22 months ago

So I just added these three 120mm Riing 12 RGB fans to my new build. Today when I turned my computer on I noticed one not spinning. It just kind of twitched like it was trying to get going but couldn't. I gave it a tap and off it went. I took the fan out to get a replacement through Amazon Prime. When I started the computer up again guess what... the fan directly under it did the same thing...I left it alone and watched it and it eventually got going a few seconds later. What in the heck is going on? I have them (three 120mm in total) plugged into the controller which is plugged int a designated CHA_FAN1 plug (chassis fan).

The three 140mm that came with the case are working fine, and I have not seen them do anything like that (yet). They are also plugged into the controller that came with the case and the controller is plugged int the M.2 Fan plug (the manual shows that M.2 Fan is same as CHA Fan plugs).

I could not find anything on google specifically about these fans. Not sure if it is the controller or what. Does anybody have experience with this issue regarding the Riing 12 fans and controller?

Thanks for the input!

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Such behavior usually means the speed of the fans is set too low. All fans are individuals, so some rpm might be enough to start one fan, while other one might stay stopped, even if it's the same model.

Try setting the fans to 100% and see if they run normally. If the do, you can then slow them down. Keeping a fan running requires less power than the initial startup, so you need to stop them completely before trying a lower rpm.

If that is not the case, the M.2 fan plug might not give your fans enough power. I'm guessing M.2 fans are usually small, so putting 3 large case fans with leds might take too much power.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

That makes sense to me. I'll do some trouble shooting this way. The M.2 with the three 140mm fans were not my issue, however I very well could have not even noticed as they are mounted up top. I'll have to pay attention, and that information regarding the M.2 port makes perfect sense if it is in fact true. Thank you very much for the details, I appreciate it!

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like then120mm fans turn on once its fully booted, as you said they should.

I still have not seen the 140mm have any issues. I have them set at low.

I'll keep an eye. Thanks again for the input!

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube