• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

tragiktimes101 10 months ago

Well, I decided I wanted to upgrade my graphics card from an RX 480 4GB to an RX 580 8GB. I was looking through Reddit and noticed prices were down. I decided to check on Craigslist and found an RX 580 8GB ASUS ROG STRIX posted for $300. I countered with $220 and they were hesitant but accepted a few hours later. Had to drive to St. Louis (about 2hrs away), but it seemed worth it. Overall it seems like for now, graphics cards are near MSRP again (at least when used).

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 2 points 10 months ago

The IRS is rather serious about people paying taxes on mining earnings which takes most of the potential profits out of the game.

gorkti200 3 Builds 2 points 9 months ago

Wow you got a good deal on that 8GB 580. Have you used it yet?

tragiktimes101 submitter 1 Build 1 point 9 months ago

Thanks!

Got it installed yesterday. Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. Set the clocks at stock for the ROG STRIX (1360 MHz GPU, 2000 MHz VRAM). Performance has boosted about 5-10% from the RX 480 4GB (OC'd to 1350 MHZ GPU, 2100 MHZ VRAM). I am going to tinker with clocks more tonight because I think there is a lot of play left in it.

Overall, super happy. Just sold my old RX-480 too.

gorkti200 3 Builds 2 points 9 months ago

Grats dude. What did you test the performance on?

tragiktimes101 submitter 1 Build 2 points 9 months ago

It was just a basic Userbenchmarks test under same conditions. But, I will be running a more thorough examination tonight. I actually see Userbenchmark as a good base test, because it tends to crash an unstable OC during the graphics phase of the test, lol.

Jackison 1 point 9 months ago

How do you think the 580 comps to the 1060 6GB? I already love the CPU side of AMD not sure if it's worth because on UserBenchmark it say's it has slightly worse performance. I'd also like to test out their FreeSync tech...

They're both at the same pricepoint and I'd like to upgrade from my 1050Ti...........

I think that result is skewed because Userbenchmark doesn't split 4GB from 8GB variants like it does with the 1060. According to their test comparisons, the 480 traded blows with the 1060. This 580 appears to be able to give a 1060 a good run for its money. And, they tend to take better OCs than the 1060 from what I have seen. So, it's hard to say for sure. But, given the added value of freesync I know which I would go for it I was going to buy again (580 8GB).

Jackison 1 point 9 months ago

Do you think FS helps that much tho?

Definitely. Beats V-sync since it doesn't come with that increased latency. Makes the image buttery smooth. But, only if you have a freesync monitor, of course, lol.

nonoesimposible 1 point 10 months ago

Brand new 1050 TI's are still $35-$70+ over the usual $150.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 9 months ago

Memory pricing has changed MSRP pricing across the board for everything.

Yea, so it's more like $15-50 over the new true MSRP on average.

Still a bit up, but not much.

m52nickerson 1 Build 1 point 9 months ago

I was in Best Buy yesterday and they have plenty of GPUs for the first time in a long time. The prices are still inflated, not as bad as they were, but they did have 1070, and even 580s in stock.