add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 2600x Build List under $800

PoliteAsFck

19 months ago

Anyone have recommendations for a good build using the Ryzen 5 2600x? Building my first PC and need some advice. Doesn't need to be anything crazy, just a good every day machine for photo editing and possibly light gaming.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

This is what I came up with. Make sure the retailer supplies a pinnacle ridge ready (2000 series) motherboard. AsRock is supplying pinnacle ridge ready motherboards to vendors but there may still be some older UEFI (bios) versions in stock. A b350 board should do you fine with a 2600x.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $228.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $89.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $170.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Team - L5 LITE 3D 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $34.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.79 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card $139.99 @ B&H
Case Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 TG ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg Business
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $804.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-27 02:53 EDT-0400
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's a start. 2600X on a solid board with Wifi and Bluetooth built in. Fast, and good looking RAM to help increase your CPU's performance, a Windows boot drive SSD, and storage drive. I went with my favorite case under $75 for it's looks and ease to build in, and a semi modular PSU from a reputable company that doesn't have ketchup and mustard cables. For the GPU I'd suggest looking around to see if you can find anything used near you, or wait for prices to drop more if you aren't building very soon.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $228.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $172.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Team - L5 LITE 3D 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $34.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.85 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - BQ 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Amazon
Total $720.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-27 01:19 EDT-0400
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd avoid EVGA's BQ series. If I recall correctly, the underlying OEM is HEC, which generally uses mediocre components at best.

Possible substitution:

Type Item Price
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $26.99 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $46.99
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $26.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-27 02:20 EDT-0400

Although for this price point, I'd personally consider a 550W EVGA G2/G3 or Seasonic Focus Plus.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Why guess a power supplies quality based on the OEM you think it has, when there are professional reviews available?

Firstly, the OEM isn’t HEC, it is Andyson.

HEC does have high end platforms, look at the TG, TP, and TPK

There is a review here and professional Cybenetics report for the 500 BQ and 600 BQ

Though a Corsair CXM/CX like the one you mentioned is still better.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, my mistake. Forgot that only the upper-end of EVGA's BQ line uses HEC.

It's fine to look at the level of each model, but do realize that differences occur across each individual unit, as quality control is never perfect across a series or even particular model. Stepping back and looking at the practices of the OEM collectively can offer a big-picture perspective that acknowledges differences across different PSU series, or models, or each specific unit.

Of course, it's not a good practice to recommend PSUs on the basis of OEMs alone. The CXM 450W, EVGA G2/G3, and Seasonic Focus Plus were not recommended solely because of anything special about CWT, Super Flower, or Seasonic. They've been out long enough to have enough rigorous reviewers to make a reasonable judgment about unit quality and consistency. If I recall correctly, I think it's been less than a year since Seasonic started sending off review units by ordering from a retailer on behalf of the reviewer, instead of directly sending off a [potentially] pre-selected one. Hopefully this trend keeps gaining popularity with manufacturers.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Hopefully this trend keeps gaining popularity with manufacturers.

Although it does prove the PSU isn't cherry picked, which consumers prefer, generally manufacturers want the best review possible and prefer cherry picking their power supplies for reviews.

Also, the problem with what Seasonic does is proper reviews aren't out until atleast a month after they're release on the market. Most brands want reviews before they hit the market.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I went with this exact ram you recommended because I like how the black/white matches my color scheme. (Ended up going with the Asus Prime x470 motherboard which is also black/white)

I just read something though that this RAM might not be compatible with Ryzen. Is that true? I'm going with the 2600x and x470. Did something change with the new series? Want to make sure this will work before I start building.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The RAM should work fine.

Nothing much changed with Pinnacle Ridge (Ryzen 5 2XXX) over the Summit Ridge (Ryzen 5 1XXXX), so you should be fine.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, should be fine. I have the exact same kit, but on X370. They recommend Samsung B-Die for Ryzen, but that kit is Hynix and works just fine.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Feeling much better now. Nothing worse than piling up parts and not knowing if it'll work when you finally fire it up

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Just don't forget to set the XMP profile in the BIOS to get the RAM running at 3200. If you have any stability issues, try bumping it down to 2933 and wait for a BIOS update to help with stability!

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

@OP: Do you need a Windows license? What about peripherals? What are your storage needs, in terms of capacity?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for not clarifying. I don't need peripherals or a windows license to be factored into the budget. For storage I'd like a nice SSD as a primary with a TB hd for storage

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $228.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $102.29 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $109.89 @ OutletPC
Storage *Drevo - X1 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card *Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card $184.98 @ Newegg
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $34.65 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $839.63
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $789.63
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-04 09:50 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube