add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did i break my pc?

MarkyPots
  • 22 months ago

I turned off my psu while the pc was on but now it won't switch back. How do I fix this?

UPDATE : I JUST DID A PAPER CLIP TEST ON MY PSU AND THE FAN WAS SPINNING. REALLY QUIET THO. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS OF WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

This might seem like a no duh question but. Did you press the front/top panel power button?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

yes.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be your PSU

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I changed my PSU and it till didn't work.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The switch is back on, right? Also, are you getting 0 response or lights/fans.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting 0℅ response from anything. I holded the power button as I switched the psu button. Yes it is switched back on.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU switch always stays on. Press the power button after turning on the PSU.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I guess I broke it right? Tell me what to do now.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Sometimes the AC cord comes out, I would check everything obvious first. Make sure your power button is plugged in also. Then I would consider getting a new PSU. What one do you have now?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I have pure power 10 500w be quiet.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Do this first: http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000015319-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test

Also check to see if you have the Power_SW cable plugged into the correct spot as per your motherboards manual.

Clear your CMOS (consult your motherboards manual)

Reseat RAM

Check for loose connections

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Turn the switch to the ON position on the PSU
  • Unplug the PSU from the Wall
  • Press and hold the power button on your PC (Not the PSU) for at least 4 seconds
  • Plug the system back into the wall
  • Press the power button on the PC

I've had an issue in the past that required me to drain all power from the system to get the system to work again, otherwise the system would not power up.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It didn't work but thanks.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Paper clip test your power supply, and see if the PSU fan starts spinning.

Try plugging your power cord into a different AC power socket.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you see or smell any magic smoke escaping from your system?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

No.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Any ideas?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried paperclip test on PSU? Either the old or the new?

In fact, I second all of thedukinator13's recommendations above and let us know how they come out.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Why do I need to? I don't get the paperclip test. I just got the PSU...NO WAY IT WOULD BE DEAD. It either could be the case or the motherboard.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It certainly could be dead out of the box. Otherwise there would be far fewer threads in this forum.

When troubleshooting it is best to test things to be sure that they are not a problem.

The paperclip creates a circuit so that when you turn on the power supply, it should start and the fan should start spinning. Then you can know that it is working rather than say that it must be working because it's new. Disconnect the PSU from everything except the wall first.

If you test the PSU and find it to be working, reconnect all the PSU cables and try removing and reseating both your GPU and RAM. Be sure that you have the RAM in the proper slots.

If that doesn't get you up and running, report back and we'll try the next steps.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

When reseating the gpu and the PSU cables and ram...do you mean taking them all at the exact same time or take out the gpu and then put back in..take out the ram put it back in...pull ll the cables out and back in?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Pull all PSU cables and then test PSU using paperclip.

If PSU starts then plug all cables back in.

At that point I'd suggest removing RAM and GPU and trying to start. If it starts, shut down and add RAM. IF it starts again, shut down and add GPU and try to start again.

The idea is to keep adding components until you hit the one that causes the problem.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

DERP.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube