• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

tragiktimes101 11 months ago

So, as some of you know already, I just picked up an RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX last week. It's been killing it. Performance is a bit above where my RX 480 was, and the VRAM headroom is allowing me to play at higher graphics. My tri-monitor set up (4.5m pixels(ish)) is running pretty well surprisingly.

The problem is, though, that during overclocking tests I started to notice pretty significant coil whine. Not just a bit, but pretty damn loud. Enough that I definitely wouldn't be able to play without headphones. So, I contacted ASUS about it, and they said it's still under warranty and that I can send it in for an RMA.

So, I think I'm going to do that, but I'll be without a GPU for a while. I think I'll force my wife onto my integrated graphics and use here PC, lol. It's only an RX-560, but should do the trick for now.

I was considering putting a bag full of candy in for the workers. I know that it's a pick me up surprise after a long day of work, so might make their day. I was thinking about leaving a semi-joke note saying something along the lines of "If you happen to accidentally drop a 1080ti/1080/1070ti/1070/Vega 56/Vega 64 in the box instead of an RX 580 because you are so wound up from the sugar, I wouldn't mind. ;)"

Would be pretty cool, lol.

Comments Sorted by:

Ice44 1 Build 2 points 11 months ago

Lmao that would brighten up a workers day for sure. Hope shipping goes smoothly :)

Jersey.Devils 2 points 11 months ago

My RX 580 8GB MSI Gaming X had pretty bad coil whine when I overclocked it, but it doesn't seem to have coil whine anymore, it just seems to have gone away... I agree with you on having 8GB of vram, there's actually a reasonable number of games which can utilize more than 4, or even 6Gb's of Vram. Anyways, good luck on your RMA, I Hope you get a V64 or 1080 ti in return :P

tragiktimes101 submitter 1 Build 2 points 11 months ago

I Hope you get a V64 or 1080 ti in return

I'd send them a second box with just candy, lol.

ssjg5rlly 1 point 11 months ago

Can I have the 480? lol.

tragiktimes101 submitter 1 Build 1 point 11 months ago

Sorry, already sold it.

Upgrade cost me 25 bucks, lol.

Shoot.

Yeah, sorry. But, if you check r/hardwareswap you could find a 8GB variant for about $210-230.

Interesting.

bengy22 4 Builds 1 point 11 months ago

Did you get the gpu back yet?

Not yet.

Synchro 2 Builds 1 point 11 months ago

How about now?