add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC, New Issues

TibbyMan
  • 22 months ago

I want to begin by extending my thanks and gratitude towards the forums for helping me pick, plan and build my PC I could not have done it without the help of everyone, but with a new pc new problems also arise. I just have a few questions left:

1. The LED on my motherboard has an AO on it which means "IDE initialization is started" and honestly I just do not know what that means lol.

2. All the manuals direct me towards websites and DVDs to install drivers for the various hardware, but when I booted up the PC I could see in device manager that drives for the CPU, GPU, SSD, etc. had already been installed and when I select to update it says I have the most updated version... so do I need to do any more and download other drivers and what ones or am I good to go?

3. The fans on my https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z6BTwP/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-8gb-ftw-ultra-silent-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-6678-kr GPU are not spinning.

4. The GPU and RAM are not super hot, but they are kind of warm.

5. How long can I keep my PC on as I want to download all my games, but I do not know if I should keep it on all night?

6. I could not find how to check my CPU temp even in BIOS.

7. Are there any programs I should be getting?

You have been warned I am a noob PC builder and this is my first custom gaming PC so sorry as I am positive some or most of these are stupid questions. Please if you know any of the answers to my questions let me know. Thank you

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. No need to worry.

2. In general, you can leave most drivers alone so long as they are functioning well. If you observe a problem or hear about a significant update, then updating drivers may be worth considering. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about getting drivers directly from manufacturer sites.

3. No need to worry. If you want a more aggressive fan curve to start spinning the fans at lower temperatures, use MSI Afterburner or similar software.

4. If you mean warm in comparison to your body temperature, that's perfectly normal. Typical idle temps are generally far over room temperature. Load temperatures can get much higher. If you're concerned about temperatures, use software such as HWmonitor to check out core temperatures. If core temperatures get far over 80C, I'd be concerned. (I prefer keeping things under 70C sustained/80C peak where possible, though the exact cutoffs are subjective.) Throttling generally occurs around 90C.

5. If temperatures are fine, your system should be fine being on all night.

6. Use software such as HWmonitor to check CPU temperatures.

7. Pick your choice of antivirus software. Other than that, it's subjective. If you want to tinker with your graphics card, I personally like MSI Afterburner, though I'm aware that EVGA has their own utility.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thank you very much it seems to me that my GPU and CPU are only around 40-50C.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

prety normal

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. on my Gaming 7, AO mean A-OK or everything ok... could be similar on yours where it just means your HD has initialized and everything is OK.

2. you can find most drivers on the motherboard specific page from whichever brand motherboard you bought... they may or may not be the same as the universal drivers windows installs, so it's always a good idea to keep that page in your favorites to look for updates (Sound, Chipset, Bios and other programs and drivers board-specific usually)

3. Most video cards come with Silent mode these days, meaning the fans won't spin until the GPU temp reaches a certain point (usually 60C+- ) you can however download your brand's GPU Overclocking program (other brands may work as well, some people prefer the MSI Afterburner App) which will give you access to customizing the fan curve so that your fans will turn on earlier or later... I prefer earlier so I set mine to 40C instead at first, however be advised you will hear the fans going on and off more often and it may annoy you. I set mine again to 38C and this seems to work better as the GPU will idle at 30-35C and once you do anything like browsing or videos it will go to 40-45C, then 60+ when playing games.

4. That's ok, once your fan Curve is modified it won't worry you as much, for the Ram just make sure you have enough air flow going through... do you have 1 fan on the front? put a second one or more, these will blow cooler air directly onto the Ram and GPU.

5. I usually turn mine off but if you're downloading constantly, nothing stops you from keeping it on all night... just ensure you go into the Windows Power Saving features and turn off Sleep mode, and prevent power saving mode from turning off other areas of the PC like HD's and Network adapters, otherwise your programs could crash.

6. What Motherboard do you have? Most newer boards bios come with a Hardware monitor tab... for Windows yes, I agree with Root_User.

7. Virus scanner for sure, but you can always run MS Defender, Video Card OC program, Video Card drivers, chipset drivers, Audio drivers.

We've all been there, lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube