add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Motherboard and processor installed into old PC prompting Windows system repair, unable to repair

Poubom

21 months ago

So I recently got a new motherboard and processor and just finished installing both and booted up my pc to Windows System Repair telling me I need to repair my PC, but whenever I try and run the repair my keyboard and mouse turn off and I can't actually select the repair.

On top of that whenever I try to start windows normally or in safe mode, my fans accelerate very quickly and then my PC turns off about 5 seconds after. I have triple checked all my connections to my motherboard and all lights and fans seem to be running fine. I have windows installed on my hard drive, but I'm not sure if i need to reinstall it for a new motherboard or not.

Any help is appreciated. Parts List Below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $159.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard $85.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card -
Case Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $42.99 @ Best Buy
Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.49 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit $119.89 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter D-Link - DWA-582 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $45.99 @ Newegg Business
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $766.09
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $746.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-30 21:37 EDT-0400

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM versions of Windows are tied to the motherboard which they are first installed on. If a motherboard fails and is replaced by an identical model, a call to Microsoft support is usually sufficient to reuse the activation key, though simply replacing the motherboard without reinstalling Windows entirely generally doesn't work. In some cases, a call to Microsoft support will end with you being allowed to reuse an OEM Windows 7 key even with a new motherboard (although officially, this isn't how it works).

Unfortunately, on top of the whole OEM/retail distinction, Windows 7 isn't officially supported for Ryzen processors. People have gotten it to work, but you still won't be able to avoid reinstalling Windows.

In short, I recommend you backup all necessary data from your SSD, then install the OS of your choice. (You could attempt to get Windows 7 running, but note that there's no guarantee that your OEM key will work. Combine that with the fact that you'd be installing it for an unsupported platform, and the headaches get bigger.) I suggest you consider one of the many open-source Linux distributions, or take this as an opportunity to go purchase a Windows 10 key.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

If there’s not Win7 drivers for Ryzen, then I’d recommend upgrading to 10 or a support Linux distributions.

It’s not worth the headache to get it working

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that it matters since the OP is not legally permitted to re-use the Win7 since it is OEM
but
The GA-AB350-GAMING 3 does have Win7 32/64-bit drivers listed available for download. As Root_User already pointed out, Win7 is not officially supported.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube