add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU Cooling Thermal throttling (down-clocking)

FrankV01

82 months ago

I've got an FX-8350 build. I started out with the stock cooler and observed temps of ~35c at idle and up to 60c under load.

I switched to an Cooler Master 212 EVO and saw my temps drop to 17c at idle (even lower, sometimes) and up to 41c under load. This is a fantastic difference. I was very pleased with the results.

When using the stock cooler, I kept noticing the CPU would throttle itself at just about 60c. This issue is what motivated me to move to an aftermarket cooler; I didn't want this throttling. But despite the temp. difference, lower temps and all of it, I'm still seeing the thermal throttling. The temps have never gone past 45c but I still see the CPU dropping down to a 1.3 GHz clock speed for a time until the temp drops down to ~33c.

What is causing this and how can I prevent it (if i should prevent it)?...

And finally, is this not actually thermal throttling? Is this load over time throttling?

Update: Despite turning off relevant settings in the BIOs, it's still happening.

Here's a video I threw together to show exactly what I see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fotFPaLlNc

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe I've solved this. It turns out that poor airflow through the case may have been making the motherboard chipset down clock -- not the processor.

I had another question here on PC part picker posted and in answer that question (and implementing the solution) this problem is also fixed.

Case airflow design is important, people

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube