add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard to pair with i5-4670K

truckinusa
  • 76 months ago

I may or may not be overclocking. I will be using regular sata drives, need 8gb of memory too and a single video card. What should I consider?

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

If you already have the 4670K you may as well get a Z87 motherboard because it sounds like you want to keep your options open and the "K" series CPU's are unlocked for overclocking and you need Z87 motherboard for OC'ing. What's your total budget?

For RAM, this is my go-to 8GB kit http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl8d8gbxm

For a single video card that can smash pretty much everything on max settings @ 1080p, go with GTX 770. The MSI TF/OC or the ASUS are the coolest and most quiet of the bunch.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really have a budget, but don't want to get too crazy. Bunch of z87 boards to choose from. I am a little overwhelmed.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking on Haswell isn't really dependent on your motherboard, so any z87 board over I'd say 120 bucks should be fairly decent. Check out all the features available on each one and get the ones that you need/want. No need for an Maximus VI Extreme if you're not going to be using half of the features

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

100% agree with this...don't need some $$ super high-end board, especially when it sounds like you may not even be OC'ing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube