add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

lack screen flash with disappearing of audio 1-2 second. Getting desperate...

DeivydasX

21 months ago

I am trying to help one friend of mine...We are getting desperate.

He has I7-7700k, MSI Z270 Gaming M6 (previous motherboard was ASUS Z270 MAXIMUS FORMULA with a few bent pins and not working two ram slots), Kraken X42, 2x8gb ddr4 3000MHz G. Skill RGB ram Supernova G2 850w power supply, SSD 128gb, 1TB HDD, massive ATX case GTX 1080 inno3D triple fan +1080p 60hz monitor with HDMI.

We tried switching motherboards, removing video card and using integrated intel hd graphics, reinstalling Nvidia drivers, changing motherboard, reinstalling windows, using computer without installing geforce experience. NOTHING OF THIS HELPED.

What happens: short blackscreen with no audio, after that everything goes back to normal. Does not matter if you're playing video games or not. Happens sometimes even while watching a movie. They happen once a day in a very inconsistent manner.

The only possible causes in my opinion are - RAM, CPU or power supply? I don't think it can be monitor just because audio disappears as well.

If you know ANYTHING about possible issue, please let us now.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

where is the audio output?

• USB Headset?
  • audio jack to speakers?
  • audio jack to monitor?
  • HDMI to monitor?
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point

USB headphones plugged into the motherboard. Sorry for not including such information.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

So, the audio stops working on USB (MOBO)

AND

the video stops working on GPU or MOBO

my guess is MOBO issue, or power issue (but when it comes back on its own, why should it be a power issue) (but then again, you switched so many parts around and it is still the same mistake, maybe it is the PSU)

I don't think it is the RAM or the CPU

how much volts come out of your socket (wall) and does your PSU have a 110V - 220V switch ?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

We don't have exact device to measure the draw of the power supply. It can't be motherboard because we already changed it and it did not solve the issue.,,

And I doubt it is power supply because theoretically, removing dedicated video card should reduce the load from the PSU but this change did not help at all. And the PSU itself is very strong one - 850w Gold standard G2 supernova...

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

it could be, that somewhere in the background something (maybe the windows energy management) is trying to "save energy", and the action of asking "hey, is there something I can stop to save energy" can lead to audio and video malfunctions for 1 second, because this action is using the system management bus (SM bus).

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

But the thing is, even if we are using intel HD graphics, which barely draw any energy, we still get blackscreen. Even while watching a movie, we still get black screen from time to time...

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Download MSI Afterburner, check to see if the tempatures are getting hot, overheating can damage the CPU, motherboard or in extreme situation the graphics card. Monitor the temps, report back please.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Temperatures are fine.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have dual channel ram, try removing one, then the other and have it operating in the first slot.

At this point if nothing else is working I imagine it might be the ram or CPU, power doesn't seem to be the issue anyway. If ya got a local best buy or something similar maybe try new stick(s) of ram.

Sounds like it still could be a processor related issue as well, so good luck.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I think so as well. I told my friend to do memtest to check RAM and after that put on CPU test for over 8 hours on Prime95. I will update this post if we find anything.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube