add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

won't boot from stick

Memo1010
  • 25 months ago

I followed all the instructions, I went to Microsoft's site and entered my product key, and downloaded an ISO of Win 7 pro. Then I used their tool to re-format the drive into a boot stick (downloaded from Microsoft's site). The thing is that my MOBO recognizes the drive, but won't let boot from it, like when it lists the devices I can boot from the list is empty (my HDD and SDD are both empty).

this is my MOBO https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PgQG3C/gigabyte-b360m-ds3h-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-b360m-ds3h

anyone got any idea

edit: looks like I'm gonna have to use Win10

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you enable booting from USB? And did you actually load the OS installer onto the drive in addition to formatting the drive?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Someone finally responded!

Here's an update

I found the tool from the MOBO manufacturer to create a win 7 boot stick. It finally got to the part where it says its loading window's files, then it gets to the starting windows screen and nothing happens. Its been there for like 90 minutes and I don't know what to do. I already restarted once after 30 minutes to try again but that didn't work either

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.

I'd go a different route. Manufacturer tools could be faulty.

First off, go the a PC where you have administrator command prompt. Open it up in admin mode. Follow these instructions from Microsoft: Link to Microsoft.com. Then unzip the ISO into the bootable drive and proceed.

Any more questions, just ask here. It might take a while for me to check back, but I will.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

But you must use their tools to install Windows 7 since they do a work around to support Windows 7. If their tool doesn't work they are going to need to get Windows 10.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, oh yeah. Windows 7 support.

Completely forgot that.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure if you were aware OR if Intel has changed this, but anything past Skylake does not support Windows 7 I am pretty sure.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

From my understanding it doesn't work unless you use the manufacturer's tool, that didn't seem to work though

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube