add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving Windows to new motherboard ram and cpu

Bausinthehouse
  • 25 months ago

Hello so I am not the best in pc’s but I now you can transfer windows over to new parts and I now the motherboard is a big part with windows on my computer but can’t find out how to safely and not breaking any of my parts to transfer windows 10 over to my new part pls help me thanks

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

If you have a Windows License that you bought yourself you should have been given a product key. I'm not sure how it all works now considering how lax MS is with W10 but you may need to contact MS Support to free up the product key. If you have a key that came with a prebuilt that may not work.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the key I looked it up on my pc and also I built my pc

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

When you bought the pc which version of Windows 10 did you get? If you got OEM Windows its going to be really tricky to move it over to a new motherboard.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It is windows 10 pro and I don’t know what version it is it has a key like the code

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

You should just be able to reactivate Windows after you install the motherboard.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

You sure cause I don’t want to **** up my pc and lose my money also I am getting a cpu and motherboard and ram I now the motherboard is the big thing to do with windows or the os

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

well just looked and i do have OEM so dont think i can change cpu and motherboard to a better one

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Legally, no.

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

You can always contact MS support though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube