add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ronnie_dee
  • 21 months ago

So I just did a Mini ITX build in a fractal node 202 with a i7-4790k (not overclocked) and a cryorig C7. In BIOS, it’s saying my idle temp is about 40C. When I use CoreTemp or CAM, it goes anywhere from 48-56C when I just have windows up, no other programs running. Does that sound right to anyone? I feel like it’s too high, but maybe it’s because of the case it’s all in? I used to get 32C idle in my previous computer, but it was an ATX with an AIO water cooler, so maybe it’s the CPU fan? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

The C7 not a very good cooler. Couple that with the minutute form factor and you have a nice and toasty cpu. Those temps sound right for these circumstances. Your best bet is to delid or get a better cooler. (-- you might also want to consider editing your fan curve, or putting your cpu in something like eco mode so it isn't producing as much heat (it also won't be as fast))

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Figured that might be it ): well, I’m thinking about getting the scythe BIG shuriken since I’ve seen that EVERYWHERE, but I’m afraid my RAM will be too tall, and I’d rather not get new ram if I don’t have to. I should just be able to remove the heat spreaders off the ram and that should fix it, right? It’s adata xpg v2 ddr3. I have to undervolt the ram anyway since it’s 2400 and my board only supports up to 1600.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Proceed at your own risk, however I have heard that people have removed the heat spreaders without issue as DDR3 and higher seems to have them as more aesthetic than functional. Again, your own risk.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: replaced the C7 with the BIG shuriken Rev B, now my temp in BIOS is 23 and idle in Windows is about 26-28C. Looks wayyyy better, thank you so much I appreciate the advice!

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, good luck.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube