add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Reinstall Windows 7 to an SSD

JCMsergox
  • 24 months ago

So, I have a Dell Optiplex 990 that I added an SSD to. The OS is factory wiped as of now.

My issue is that I can't figure out how to get the OS onto the SSD to use as a boot drive. Anyone know how?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

The OS is factory wiped ...

?!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

As in, I reset it to factory settings. Got all my stuff off of it, etc. Its essentially just a fresh install of Windows.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You can use cloning software of your choice.
Last time I tested it, the Acronis True Image sofware successfully cloned the HP and Samsung factory installed recovery partition along with the Windows partition.
Not all cloning software will clone factory/OEM installed recovery partitions.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Download Acronis True Image.

This will allow you to clone the data from the HDD to the SSD. After you’ve transferred the HDD’s data to the SSD, wipe the HDD.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, and then do I set the SSD as the boot drive from the Bios?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

This didn't work.

I backed up the HDD to the SSD, but how would I get it to boot?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

The BIOS will show that there are two drives plugged in to the computer (look for the SSD's name).

Set that drive as the primary boot drive (you might want to back up the HDD, in case you have any issues).

Then, wipe the HDD and there you go.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube