add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Could my motherboard affect games on the 2400g?

MPipitone

21 months ago

I've been having issues with my ryzen 5 2400g build when it comes to gaming. Little things that aren't resource intensive are fine but things like PUBG, hellblade, or siege all come up in this weird rainbowed out texture and static in different spots. Swapped the 2400g out with a new one thinking it would be the gpu portion but that didn't seem to have any effect. Also tried different cables and displays. Wondering if the HDMI port on the mobo could be the culprit.

Here's the display issue: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/KDOnVtF

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

I would definitely say, this has to do something with the graphics.

In your case this includes:

• iGPU
  • RAM (as it is shared between the CPU and GPU)
  • motherboard video connectors
  • video cable
  • display

I would first try to test with a dedicated GPU and see if the problem persists. If not, then the (same) cable and display are not the problems.

Then try to use a different video output on the motherboard. If all fails, try a different motherboard. Maybe a different RAM.

The only way to find this is to replace items one by one. Preferably DO NOT BUY anything new, just borrow from friends, etc.

Oh, and one more thing: if you experience this with certain games only, maybe the games do not support the integrated graphics (or you have too low video RAM assigned for the CPU/iGPU in the BIOS).

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for these recommendations! I hadn't really thought about the RAM until you brought it up. Not used to the shared resources. Tried both sticks of RAM individually with no change. Tried the 16GB kit from my personal rig as well and the same issue. Not sure its the allocation as every review I have seen on the chip uses a gigabyte board that capped at 2gb forced to the iGPU which is the same as my Asus ROG Strix B350-f. Went out and got a display port cable to try another output and that gave me the same problem. Only thing I Have no way to test readily is a new board. Going to contact microcenter tomorrow morning to see if they will let me exchange it even though I'm a few days outside of return policy. It only doesn't happen on more basic stuff like PC building simulator and game dev tycoon or other games that don't require much processing power. I know this chip should be able to run things like PUBG and fortnite but in my case I get this weird issue. I will try my personal GPU in it tomorrow as well though. Will update after I hopefully exchange the motherboard and try my card.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

It only doesn't happen on more basic stuff like PC building simulator and game dev tycoon or other games that don't require much processing power

My understanding is that even if a GPU is too slow, the game should still run, but at a terrible frame rate. The artifacts you have is not really explained by a "weak GPU". I would double check what the memory allocation is in the BIOS for the iGPU.

I would also try to get the games with issues run on the lowest graphics & resolution possible. Just to see if that makes any difference.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Could the APU be thermal throttling with the more intensive games?

Could it be a Windows color settings issue?

You should try another cable if others agree, but I don't see how it could be the cable (I could be totally wrong).

Contact AMD if you need to.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking through everything I cant imagine its a setting. And its as soon as I open the games so I think I can rule out thermal issues. They do seem normal though. No temp spikes or anything. Reached out to AMD and Asus about it to see what they think.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you overclocked?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort of? At first it was stock speeds then I upped them to see if it would fix anything. Finally lowered them to see if that had any effect before resetting to defaults. So, in short, Happens regardless of my clock speed tweaks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube