add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Heatsink Fan combo for Apex MI-008 and an A8 6600K FM2 chipset.

J2E

71 months ago

Here's my Build, working on a smaller sized HTPC box for mostly streaming and some low end gaming.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/33Ojk

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk Case: Apex MI-008 Mini ITX Tower Case w/250W Power Supply ($49.24 @ Amazon)

My issue is there is so little clearance between the mobo and PSU that my stock heatsink and fan will not fit. About 1/4" too tall. I read somewhere that the clearance is like 40mm, but can't confirm that. From what I've seen, my options with the FM2 chipset are pretty limited. I've seen the Noctura NH-L9a for about $50.

My 'problem' with buying a new cooling solution is that I got the case for free so I could put that $50 into something slightly larger case-wise and maybe be better off and spend about the same. Any thoughts or suggestions for a slim cooling solution? Thought about the picopower option, but not quite sold on that really just yet and I don't think my mobo/cpu combo is low power enough along with a SSD and a WD Green 3TB drive.

Comments

• J2E
  • submitter
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I've been down the water cooler path previously and not wanting to go that route again. I think the only fan I've found that will fit is the Noctura. So I can spend $50 on a fan or if I pick up this case, it'll all fit. What do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108396

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube