add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD does not register? PLEASE HELP

AlexDMV
  • 21 months ago

Hey guys. I built my first ever PC around 5 days ago, and I noticed that my SSD and HDD are not showing up as seperate entities, but one combined storage device. I have never owned a desktop before, or an SSD for that matter, so I don't know why this is. I have a 1TB HDD and a 1TB SSD. Can someone help me out? That would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the picture of what I am talking about.

EDIT: Problem solved. Thanks guys

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

looks like you merged (RAIDed) them in BIOS (or maybe Windows10 made a partition itself)

safest way to get rid of this:

• unhook the HDD
  • do a blank install of Windows to the SSD
  • once done, rehook the HDD and format it
  • should have 2 seperated disks now
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh. Interesting. I will try this. Is there any way I can fix this in the BIOS? My cable management is quite awful and it would be a pain in the *** to take the back panel off of my case and spend 10 minutes trying to force it on lol.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points
  • go to BIOS and look for the 2 "devices" the 1 SSD and the 1 HDD
  • try "deactivating" the HDD
  • do a blank install of Windows to the SSD
  • once done, reactivate the HDD and format it
  • should have 2 seperated disks now

can't you reach the SATA or power plug that is plugged into the HDD?

you can check the BIOS to see which SATA port feeds the HDD and pull the cable from the MOBO, too

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome. Thanks man! I will try that when I get home. I can reach the SATA cable just fine. It’s more of an inconvenience. My cable management is so bad that I have to force my back panel on, and it is pretty hard to get on/off. So I wanted to avoid it as much as possible but I might as well open it up now. Good cable management will help me in the long run so I might as well.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Unhook it at the motherboard.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man, I have some more questions. Sorry to bother you. I went into the BIOS and I have no idea what this stuff means. Will you please be able to help me out? I have taken some pictures of what I am seeing. I decided to hold off on following your original advice to just unhook the HDD because I have no idea what I am doing lol. Also, what do you mean by a blank install of windows 10? Is that just the same thing I did upon building the system? Also, how do I delete the windows OS from my HDD? After I install it on my ssd, it will be on my ssd and my hdd. Also, what do you mean by format the hdd? Sorry. I am asking so many questions. I just really want to get his figured out, as I payed quite a bit for this SSD and it would be pretty stupid if I wasn't able to take advantage of it due to my incompetence.

P.S: Sorry for the God-awful picture quality, it was off of my phone.

https://gyazo.com/f2e61e18a4d0adcd1ef6562e2bae99d1

https://gyazo.com/790ea069ae7b139033bf7db044903bfe

https://gyazo.com/0e5e172c53ce76aae5c6c2a4ad473d69

https://gyazo.com/fb4080fbe979d54b73a394548fcbc725

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man so here is an update. I am a complete idiot and forgot that I have a 2tb hdd lol. So my hdd is being completely recognized, but my ssd isn't. I am about to go into the case and see what's going on, but I just though I would update this.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry for answering late, we had a long-weekend thanks to a holiday

the state of art now is??? 2 TB HDD is all good, 1 TB SSD is missing?

• here is what you can try: you connect ONLY the power plug to the SSD, NOT the SATA cable.
  • turn on your PC so everything is powered up.
  • SSDs have internal analyzing & repair tools which work automatically, just let it run for 2 hours
  • it may show after a reboot in BIOS
  • 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey, it's all good man. I fixed it. I made a big deal out of nothing. So, turns out (I'm a little embarrassed to be saying this) but I forgot to plug the SATA cable from the power supply into the drive itself... It was 3 AM when I was routing the cables to the build, and I guess I just flat out forgot. Sorry for wasting your time. I really appreciate the timely and detailed responses you have been giving me. If I had a real problem (and wasn't just an idiot) they would have helped a lot. Thanks man! Hope you enjoyed that long weekend of yours :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube