add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Drivers for MSI z370 a pro

daniel10111

20 months ago

I'm new to building gaming pc and I just built one with a MSI z370 a-pro motherboard.

I have no idea which drivers to install to optimize my experience and I have no idea what half these drivers do.

Can you guys tell me which drivers I should install and why?

Link to the drivers page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO

Bio drivers? Regular Drivers? Utilities drivers?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

Bios, Drivers, and Utilities are three different things ... please let me explain.

BIOS: The Bios is firmware on the motherboard itself that allows it to control and manage the hardware attached to the motherboard, such as the RAM, the chipset, etc. Once you confirm your system powers up (and enters bios), it is suggested that you update the bios to the most current version. You do not have to update the bios, or your motherboard may already have the most current version. You can find and download the bios under the "Bios" tab. And here's a video showing how to download and install/update Bios on an MSI mobo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTokymDCcs

DRIVERS: Drivers are programs that allow the operating system (Windows 10 64-bit, for example) to control hardware that you have connected to your system, to include the onboard sound card, onboard networking, the chipset, onboard video, etc that are on/built into your mobo. After you install and update your Windows Operating System, then it would be a good time to download these drivers and install them. Windows often have default/generic drivers, but these are better most of the time because they are specific to the hardware you have. In your case, I would recommend you download and install the following (you can find under the "Driver" tab and then hit the "+" in each section to find:

• Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (for you onboard mobo sound chip)
  • Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers (for you onboard network chip)
  • Intel Chipset Driver (which interfaces between CPU, RAM, and other hardware)
  • If you want to use the on-board graphics iGPU on your CPU, then install the Intel VGA Driver

I'm assuming you are not installing/configuring RAID storage, so I don't think you need the Intel RAID Driver. Unless you plan to install Optane in your system, then you won't need the Intel Optane Memory driver. And I do not think you need the Intel Management Engine Driver (since Windows usually takes care of this already), or the Intel Safeguard Extentions.

UTILITIES: These are additional utility programs that allow you to control MSI specific software and hardware. You don't have to use them, but they could come in handy. More details are in the Mobo Manual starting on page 63.

• For example, the utility "LIVE UPDATE 6" helps to automate updates to bios, drivers, and utilities that we are talking about, to make it easier for new beginners.
  • The utility "Command Center' helps to make configuration/setting changes to you system.
  • The utility "MysticLight" allows you to control LEDs

You get the idea ... all the utilities are described in your manual. Choose the ones you want to use and install them.

Hope this helps. Does this answer your question?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes! Thank you so much!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube