add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wifi not working HELP

Nauthes
  • 21 months ago

i just built the PC Below.

I just installed windows but the wifi on the motherboard isnt working. Its just got the LAN connection with a x over it because i dont have a LAN cable plugged in (im trying to use wifi)

I have a feeling it has somthing to do with drivers but i cant figure it out.

Can someone help me get this working?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $118.80 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B360M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $106.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $37.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $155.00
Case Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $593.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-05 19:51 EDT-0400

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

A quick update on whats happening if anyone can help.

So LAN and wireless are both not working. There are no LAN or wireless network adapters visible in device manger. There is only the boards bluetooth adapter.

In network and sharing center when i go to change adapter settings again only bluetooth is visible there.

I've tried installing the wireless LAN drivers from AsRock's website but when running the auto run simply nothing happens. No Errors and no installs

So i try to install the LAN adapter from AsRock's website but after it attempts to install it gives the error "No intel adapters found"

I've opened a ticket with AsRock but havent heard back yet. Father's day is right around the corner i could really use some help please.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Also ive checked in bios and found a setting for "Intel (R) Ethernet connection 1219-V" but it was already enabled :(

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

RESOLVED:

For anyone looking for info this is how i resolved mine.

Go to search type device manager in my case i had nothing under network adapters however i noticed under "other devices" there was unknown network device right click on unknown network device click update driver software click browse my computer for driver software hit browse and select C: drive hit next It auto detected a wierless network driver i clicked finished and wifi started to work right away

Then i attempted to install the Wired LAN connection driver from the motherboard manufactuere and it installed LAN driver LAN started to work after a reboot

Thank you guys for trying to help you did point me in the right direction in order to find this

• 21 months ago
  • 0 points

The only type of signal that motherboard will pick up is an AC signal. I would look up the model of your router and see if it supports it. If not, you may need to buy a dedicated network card that supports the same types of signals that your router does. Most network cards support a wide range of signals, b/g/n being with most common with some also supporting AC.

Also, I assume you actually installed the antenna that screws onto that one port and reinstalled it as a first troubleshooting step?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont think that is the probelm. The 802.11ac receiver on his motherboard should be campatible even if his home network is using a standard like 802.11n or even 802.11g -- I have never seen one that isn't backwards compatible with older standards. EDIT: I just confirmed this on the manufacturers website "Supports IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac"

But definitely do assure that you connected the antennas, and ensure that you downloaded the driver's (check your motherboards product page from the manufacturer.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's my bad; I didn't check with the manufacturer, just inferred from the name that it only supports the AC standard.

Drivers are another thing that I hadn't considered but yeah, you may need to update the drivers for the motherboard Wi-Fi to work. Just connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable for the time being to download them or just transfer them from another computer connected to the network with a USB drive or something.

All of the drivers for that motherboard can be found here. The one you need to enable Wi-Fi is probably the one called "Intel Wireless LAN Driver."

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this an issue with motherboard drivers or windows drivers?

Also not exactly sure how to download these drivers. I tried putting them from a USB and running a file called auto setup.exe then nothing happened not sure exactly what’s going wrong

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes Antenna are installed. Also it’s not that it’s not detecting a signal. There is no wireless at all.

As if there was no wireless called installed. Wireless is not an option in network and sharing. only LAN

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, it seems like you need to install the drivers. I linked to ASRock's download page for all the drivers for that motherboard in my post above. I'd recommend trying the one called "Intel Wireless LAN Driver" as that seems to be the one needed to enable Wi-Fi.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Help me with a step by step I’m actually not to sure. I tried doing this 1. Download wireless LAN driver to USB on other PC 2. Unzipped the zip file 3. Plugged usb into the new PC 4. I ran the file called autosetup.exe but nothing seemed to happen

Did I do it right or can u tell me exactly what I’m missing. Also I heard it might be a windows driver issue?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the wireless chip recognized in device manager at all, or is it simply non-functional? I can tell you how to manually install the drivers instead of using the autorun file bundled with that but if the device isn't showing up in device manager then my guess is that it's either disabled in the BIOS for some reason or it's non-functional, meaning you'll need to either RMA or get a dedicated network card.

The Wi-Fi chip on my laptop is under Network adapters and is called Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160; yours may be called something else but should be under Network adapters and should allude to some type of wireless communication.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Im still at a a loss here.

What you said is exactly it. There is no LAN or Wireless adapter in device manager at all. Only Blue-tooth.

I tried to install the AsRock LAN Driver. But i get the error "no intel adapter found"

I've opened a ticket with AsRock but maybe you're right it just needs to be returned as its non-functional.

Im running out of time though Fathers day is a week away :(

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube