add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Constant blue screens

PeriodicFlow
  • 20 months ago

Hi, ever since I built my PC I have been getting blue screens. All the errors are different. I always end up having to either boot up to a previous point or reset my PC. This has happened about 5 times now and its getting quite tedious. Any suggestions? I have a Ryzen 5 1600x and a Zotac GTX 1070 mini. Let me know if you need any other specs, thank you so much.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If applicable,
Disable any overclocking of system/RAM and test.

If system is not overclocked in any way,
Test the RAM using standalone diagnostics. e.g. Memtest86+

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

My PC is not overclocked, i have downloaded Memtest, hopefully this helps, thank you.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi again, I finished my test with 3017 errors, that doesn't sound too good to me, what can I do?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

There should be no errors whatsoever.
If RAM settings were correct and mobo BIOS is current, contact RAM manufacturer for RMA.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be an issue with your RAM but write down the next BSODs and google them. I was able to diagnose my HTPC that way. As for checking your RAM, create a bootable Memtest86 USB thumb drive and let it check for RAM errors. In case of errors reseat RAM modules and repeat with one stick at a time and slot for slot. Also try with XMP (DOCP for ASUS mainboards) disabled in BIOS or try to configure your RAM timings manually using Ryzen DRAM Calculator, then run Memtest86 again.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi again, I finished my test with 3017 errors, that doesn't sound too good to me, what can I do?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Since it just came to my mind: Update your BIOS to the latest version, they've patched a lot of RAM incompatibilities over the last year. Download the latest BIOS for your mainboard, extract the ZIP and copy the BIOS update to an USB drive. Then use the update tool integrated into your BIOS to run the update. The update will reset custom BIOS settings like XMP/DOCP, fan curves and manual voltage settings. Take a note of those before doing the update.

For the issue at hand:

Do you have XMP/DOCP enabled in UEFI BIOS? If yes, disable it and test again.

• XMP/DOCP is already disabled and test still shows errors: Test each RAM stick in each slot one at a time. That way you can isolate which RAM stick or slot is causing errors. (faulty stick = RMA the RAM, faulty slot = RMA the mobo. For a faulty slot It is also possible that the memory controller inside the CPU is having an issue but I think that is only last option if all else fails.)

• no more errors after disabling XMP/DOCP?: Re-enable XMP/DOCP and increase DDR4 voltage from 1.35V to 1.375V. You can also try to calculate memory timings by using Ryzen DRAM calculator linked in my previous reply. In case you don't get it stable make sure XMP/DOCP is enabled but reduce DRAM clock to e.g. 2666 or 2933 MHz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube