add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

[HELP] Motherboard Fan Headers

takenID

20 months ago

Hi, currently I am preparing to build my computer, and so far, I have my CPU and MoBo.

CPU: i5-8600k
MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H

AIO I am getting: Corsair H100i V2
Fans I want to get: Corsair LL120... 3x (With Lighting Node Pro... NOT Commander Pro)
I am getting the Meshify C which comes with 2 fans preinstalled. I would like to use those if I could to do a push/pull on the radiator, but if not then it doesn't matter. (with push/pull I would have a maximum GPU length of ~ 258mm)

My MoBo has the following fan headers on it:

1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (2 x 4 -pin)
1 x AIO_PUMP connector

Which fans should I plug in to what? I know I will need to get a splitter, but do I need to get a powered splitter Newegg - Silverstone Splitter that can handle 8x 4 pin PWM fans? Or should I just stick with Y splitters Newegg - Y Splitter?

Thanks so much in advance... please tell me if I left anything out.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU: 95-8600k

?!

i5-8600K you mean.

Which fans should I plug in to what?

Obviously

1. The pump should go into the AIO_PUMP header.
  2. The CPU fans should go to the CPU_FAN header
  3. The case fans should go to the CHA_FAN headers

I would connect all the fans of the AIO cooler to the CPU_FAN using a USB hub with its own power. The splitter you linked is not good, as the same power would be drawn from the CPU_FAN header by all the fans, that is 2 or 4 times the designed power (depending if you use 2 or 4 fans). While it may work, chances are you'll overload it (especially when turning on, the fans tend to drain more power; every electronic device does).

Would do similarly with the case fans (i.e. using a hub), if you have more fans, than headers.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thank you... so if I read right, any AIO pump will have like an information header? Or something of the sort that needs to be plugged into that port.

And just make sure to get a powered splitter. Thanks!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

AIO liquid coolers come from the abbreviation: All In One.

This means you have a closed liquid cooler loop with

• CPU heatsink
  • radiator
  • pump *
  • radiator fan(s) *
  • hosing
  • cooling liquid

The ones marked with the asterisk (*) need power. Thus AIO liquid coolers require at least two power leads: one for the pump and one for the fan (or the fans, depending on how they are done).

While you could, in theory, have only one power cable that is used by both the pump and the fans, having them disjoined means that you can set the speed of the fans differently than the speed of the pump. So that's why you have AIO_PUMP and CPU_FAN headers.

I hope this helps.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I understand what you are saying about the pump itself needing power... I didn't really think about that. I was just thinking about the fans. Thanks

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. :)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Please do not use link shorteners on our site. If you'd like to shorten a link on PCPartPicker, place the text you'd like others to read in brackets and the URL in parentheses, like so:

[Link to a page](http://www.pcpartpicker.com)

which will result in:

Link to a page

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh! I'm sorry, won't do it again. I should have read the rules for posting on the forum... my fault. Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube