add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dual Monitor Help

pencir

20 months ago

I'll try to keep it short. Thank you for any help.

Just finished a new build: (i3 8350k, rx 460 (im getting a 1060 6gb in the next few months this was from old build), ASRock z370 Extreme4) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fHQh7W

I thought I would be able to just run one display from GPU and one from iGPU. Didn't work.

After some searching I thought the answer would be going into BIOS chipset options and enabling iGPU (since adding the graphics card disabled it.) Didn't work.

I went back to BIOS and changed my primary display output to onboard instead of PCIe. Worked, HOWEVER... there is a drastic performance loss. games I run on the display plugged into my 460 are run as if using the iGPU when I disable iGPU and play the same game on the same monitor performance is all back.

Is there anything I'm missing? anything I could try? or is my best solution running one monitor until my new graphics card comes and I can run both displays off of that?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I am like 99% sure that it has to be one or the other but not both. Either the dGPU or iGPU. If you run the second monitor on the GPU but only display games on one monitor you shouldn't see any performance hit in games.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

i had it working with both just curious to why a dsiplay coming from my gpu didnt have any of the gpu performance. i just got a displayport to hdmi adapter so i dont have to use igpu. still just curious though.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

So why are you doing this? lol

There should be multiple outputs on your graphics card. Just plug both the monitors into the graphics card.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

only one hdmi out out gpu. that all my displays have. no displayport. i ended up getting an adapter and alls well. but im still curious since im supposed to be able to run it that way. im undure whst went wrong

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

From the sound of it, nothing. You did it correctly but thats the price of splitting the graphics processing between the gpu and the igpu.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube