add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Drive full notifications but can't see anything in the drive specified.

Attune

20 months ago

I keep getting constant "X:\ drive is nearly full" notifications, yet when I go into the drive nothing is there.

I have a feeling it's something to do with a backup taken before my recent big Windows update, but can't figure out how to delete it.

Has anyone experienced this/know how to resolve it?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this from a laptop or other prebuilt system? Some manufacturers use X:\ to indicate the recovery partition.

Have you set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders? Alternatively, you could load up some Linux distribution onto a flash drive, boot it up, and see if you can explore your drive to see what's actually on that partition.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah sorry, misleading drive specified I guess, I meant X as in a variable rather than the actual letter of the drive in question.

It's a system I built myself & yeah I have show hidden files/folders on.

I did format the drive as Czex mentioned and it now has more space free and is not sending me notifications every 5 minutes so that's good.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Tried this and now it has a lot more space free, is there any way I can get rid of this partition completely and just put it on my normal C:\ drive since it's using the same physical storage device?

In Disk Management it's specified as "OEM Partition", I definitely didn't create this myself, it just seems to have appeared in the past 2-3 weeks, that's why I assumed it was since the Windows Update.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that possible whilst there are files still on the drive or does it need to be completely clean? It's on my boot disk so I'm not sure if this would be possible...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube