add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's a safe temp for the CPU while idle and Under load?

RazerFanboyyy

71 months ago

This is just a question I need to know. I built my PC yesterday, and I just want to know safe temps for the cpu. You know what they say, better safe then sorry ;) If you need to know, I have the i5 4670k.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Some of those thermal temps seem pretty low. I know 105 Celsius isn't ideal, but really haswell and ivy can run at 80 fine with prime 95.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

haswell can run up to 90c without thermal throttling ideally you want to stay under 80-85under full load

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Buy I am pretty sure anything above the max operating temp leads to transistor degrading

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

absolutely but operating temps are considered the 80-85c cpu's these days are made to withstand use for long periods of time approx. ten years. heat can lead to degradation but what really kills most cpu's is voltage. another thing you must keep in mind most people wont have their computer under full load. maybe a few hours a day and the program prime 95 actually adds voltage to the cpu which makes the observed temps higher than real world situations.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I know voltage but AMD even says that long periods of time above the operating temp (gaming) leads to transistor degrading and it cannot be different for intel because they are both silicone not carbon.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

yes but operating temperature is higher than what was stated that's what I was getting at. what I meant was that it is safe to have a cpu that operates at 85c for 4-5 hours. even at that load it would take 5 years before degradation would start to be apparent. this of course is under normal operating conditions(stock) this expectancy will go down with any additional stress. higher than normal temps or voltage increase. did this explain myself a bit better?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand what you are saying it is just that even though it wont become apparent for 5 years it is still damaging the cpu which if someone is okay with then it is their problem and i do agree that voltage is the main killer but heat is a chronic disease.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I was getting 60 celsius while play DayZ, is that where someone would want to be?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have the stock cooler it's in the norms. In gaming, I get 50-60 with my Haswell on stock cooler.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 71 months ago
  • 0 points

Just under 30C is average for stock or air coolers at idle

Under load, aircooling is mid 60's while gaming, near 80 when doing more intensive stuff (prime95, rendering)

90C is the point when I'd start to keep a close eye on my temps and what I'm doing, anything higher than 100C would really concern me. I know I've heard that processors melt at a certain temp, but I can't recall off the top of my head. 120C, I believe, is the melting point.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube