• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Zues2k 4 months ago

Ok so I'm looking for advice please. My system has been working fine lately besides some slow booting up from time to time so in order to attempt to fix that, I reseated all my RAM in the proper configuration with every other dimm slot with the 4 sticks (The Viper 3 in the 1st and 3rd, and the signature in the 2nd and and 4th slots). Yes I know 2 different RAM sticks but same brands and such. The system read them as it should and had no issues that day at all. Yesterday going to play a game and got a BSOD. Rebooted the system, after about 5 minutes of doing anything or even nothing, same BSOD again. I didn't see any error codes when it happened but I'll look again today. Could this just be a RAM issue or something else going on here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kzM74q

Comments Sorted by:

Rin_Itoh 1 point 4 months ago

It is potentially a heat issue. I would monitor the temps while doing basic usage. It does sound like a RAM issue. Some boards are picky about RAM, others don't care. I would test each DIMM by itself in the same slot and then test a known good DIMM in each slot. That should take care of whether it is a board issue or a DIMM issue. Post your results back and we can help you further.

Zues2k submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Thanks for the advice. I do usually monitor the temps regularly but I was not during the times of the crashes. Normally everything is in good range but I will try to monitor them today and see if there is any significant changes.

I'll also do the DIMM testing. Hopefully a new MB isn't needed at this time. Money needs saving!

Alrighty so update on this. Yesterday I went and reseated all the RAM and also cleared CMOS just as an extra step to solve this. Turned out the computer really didn't like that and would fail to load windows whatsoever. Kept giving the error code that would say not able to locate drive 0xc00000f error attempting to read boot drive.

Luckily I had the boot drive on a seperate thumb drive as well so was able to get into windows to do a chkdsk and after it ran that all night long and finding a bunch of orphan files, the computer booted up as it should this morning. Didn't have time to run tests to make sure the BSOD wasn't happening anymore but this is a good step forward.

DANIEL777 1 point 4 months ago

What is the error code? It is indicated on the blue screen in the format: STOP 0xXXXXXXXXX

0xc00000f error attempting to read boot drive.

It wasn't on the blue screen, this was on the black screen after rebooting and not able to get to windows.

A virus might be on your PC, if something is attempting to read your boot drive. Boot into safe moe and try to quickly clean out your PC ( run virus scan). If it is not possible (BSOD is too quick) Clear your hard drive.

Update: after the reboot it was working normal this afternoon but not for long. The hard drive failed completely now. Woohoo

The virus probably corrupted your hard drive's data, rendering it useless. Call a hard drive recovery center to potentially recover your data.

Zues2k submitter 1 Build 1 point 3 months ago

I doubt it was a virus, I do scans daily and don't do anything that would cause one to get on the computer. It's al good now though, replaced that terrible hybrid drive with a SSD and a 1TB HDD

DANIEL777 2 points 3 months ago

Glad to hear that it's good now!